Indoor Brass?

If you want to see a band version if this already being done check out Jackson Academy through BOA. They perform on an indoor tarp as they rehearse indoors and not outdoors and yet compete with the rest of BOA every year.

Marketed the right way I think this could work and take off. Would give musicians in the "off season" something to do. Others might choose the indoor idea over the outdoor summer groups. Definitely something to consider pursuing.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two in Michigan. One is a non-competitive brass, battery, and pit ensemble: Legends from Portage, MI. The other is a competitive brass and pit ensemble: Eos from Grand Rapids, MI. Eos competes in the "Indoor Band" circuit of the Michigan Competing Guard Circuit. There have been several "indoor bands" in MCGC, most of them consisting of woodwinds as well.

Do you mean something like this?

http://gulfcoastsound.org/images/GCS-2002-Summertime.mov

It's a pretty big file (sorry dial-up people), and the first minute or so is just the prelude...the entire performance is there.

This was how Gulf Coast Sound got started...University of Houston's guard folks wanted to start a Winter Guard, and there was no prohibition on live music vs. pre-recorded, so we hooked up with them and competed in WGI.

We competed in Independant World Class and performed at several WGI shows. We took the hornline and drums to DCA and competed, with drill and all, at the mini-corps competition. As far as I know, we were the first to perform a full drill in mini-corps. It has since become common, or even expected to do so.

Do you mean something like this?

http://gulfcoastsound.org/images/GCS-2002-Summertime.mov

It's a pretty big file (sorry dial-up people), and the first minute or so is just the prelude...the entire performance is there.

This was how Gulf Coast Sound got started...University of Houston's guard folks wanted to start a Winter Guard, and there was no prohibition on live music vs. pre-recorded, so we hooked up with them and competed in WGI.

We competed in Independant World Class and performed at several WGI shows. We took the hornline and drums to DCA and competed, with drill and all, at the mini-corps competition. As far as I know, we were the first to perform a full drill in mini-corps. It has since become common, or even expected to do so.

This brings up a good point.

Not sure about now, but when I instructed winterguard the only limitation was a max of 30 members, and musicians were allowed. I distinctly remember Miamisburg HS using a pianist the year they did Candle in the Wind.

So if the same rules still apply, there is nothing to stop anyone from doing this, except the obvious limitations it would place on the colorguard section and therefore the score.

That was way cool!

Yes, it can work.

All I really have to contribute is my response of "yes," along with mentioning that all it would really take is one person with a whole lot of ambition. I think once it gets started and is established as a serious concept, it could take off quite easily and quickly.

If you want to see a band version if this already being done check out Jackson Academy through BOA. They perform on an indoor tarp as they rehearse indoors and not outdoors and yet compete with the rest of BOA every year.

I saw their wind ensemble a few years ago in New Orleans......absolutely amazing. My band beat theirs at the competition but I honestly had no idea how we did so, after having watched them. Heard the marching program is great too.

In a way this is already happening with the Minicorps movement at DCA now spawning MCA which has it's first contest this April.

Mini Corps Associates

At this point Mini Corps is more of a stage type performance with various amounts of movement, more or less staging set-ups not real 'drill'. But you could easily see it morphing a bit if given a WGI style floor to perform on. Could be cool, but I wonder about overlap with the winter programs of corps.

These have been VERY helpful responses and suggestions.

I would like to focus in a bit on two areas: defining the activity, and marketing

There have been many suggestions ranging from having all three captions to having just brass. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

There has also been much talk about marketing. What do you think is the target market? What would motivate potential members AND band directors to climb aboard?

Thanks again for your posts.

Marc