Mini-corps projects

I went and heard a mini-corps at practice today - they were very good - IMO ^OO^

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you saying that Seattle Brass Attack is a mini-corps?

Just making sure.

Well, I've got about 18-22 brass, and a drummer showing up regularly. I have never had any need to declare us an official "mini-corps" yet.

So we are probably an un-official mini-corps project.

Does that count?

Well, I've got about 18-22 brass, and a drummer showing up regularly. I have never had any need to declare us an official "mini-corps" yet.

So we are probably an un-official mini-corps project.

Does that count?

If YOU count yourself as such, then so do I!

I would think that most of us here would consider that any group being organized to particpate in organized events under rules for "mini-corps" would meet the "official" definition of a Mini-corps. DCA has certainly defined that for us, and more than one other event will be using the DCA sheets this year; further solidifying that definition.

But not everyone is going to go to the DCA finals event. And I think that there is MORE to mini-corps than just that.

I would THINK that a corps is not a mini-corps simply because they have less than 21 players - so far.

For me (only me) it is a group DESIGNED to work with limited numbers.

With drum corps instrumentation.

Maybe to compete in the drum corps arena. (MCA, DCA, other I&E events)

Or like, CB!; maybe just to have a lean, affordable, marketable and versatle group that could do a wide variety of performances.

One that could be polished to a high performance level in what, in several ways, is easier (and cheaper) than doing so with a larger group.

I have heard of several groups like this. They sound, to me, like mini-corps'. But, we may not see them in competition, or maybe not even at many (or any) drum corps events.

It seems to me, that mini-corps could be many things, in separate, local markets.

It gives us each a blank canvas to bring an exciting and durable drum corps product to our local markets. And, we can each make it what we want it to be.

If we want to bring it to the national stage, there are rules and parameters. Otherwise; it can be designed to meet the aspirations of your own members and the needs of your own market.

Very exciting for drum corps. if you ask me.

Let's hear from others to help define what it is, to them.

And also, from those groups who may consider themselves in this genre; whether they intend to compete, or not.

Edited by brassomaniac

I spoke with John Arietano on the phone last night, and he confirmed Lambertville's intentions this year - so I moved them up onto the list.

And, Strutta has chimed in to needle the Thunderbirds about Harrisburg, so I'm also going to count Mass Brass as "heard from".

That only leaves Golden Eagles, from the Harrisburg group. So, since they're booked for that - I'm moving them to the list as well.

Can someone from the corps confirm their plans for us?

And how about some more info from everyone?

How are you doing?

What do your members like about the corps?

What plans do you have for 2007?

What IS a mini-corps to your group?

Edited by brassomaniac

Mini-corps' with various performance plans for 2007:

(not necessarily going to Rochester, but performing somewhere)

Amoskeag Sound (Manchester Muchachos)

Capital Brass!

Crossmen Xtreme

Erie Thunderbirds

Ghostriders (St. Joe's)

Gold Rush (Carolina Gold)

Lakeshoremen

Minne Brass (Minnesota Brass)

Lambertville Volunteers

Mass Brass

NY Skyliners

The Outlaws (Frontier)

Renegades

Royal Brass (Upper Darby High School)

Seattle Brass Attack!!

So Cal Dream

Star United

Steel City Ambassadors

West Sayville Golden Eagles

Sooweet!

Good to hear that..........looking forward to Rha-cha-cha

Jimbalaya

Just letting everyone know....

Carolina Gold is back up and going, with our open house coming on February 24. We ARE bringing our Mini-Corps, GOLDRUSH, to Rochester. Look for news soon concerning some exciting annoucements from Gold.

BG

Hello Tom,

We all hear from Strutta often, but for the record, Mass Brass will be in Rochester this year.

We have a three spring indoor shows/competitions and a couple of summer shows lined up and our favorite and most fun performances at 2 Italian festivals in Boston's North End in August.

Inbetween we are learning 2 or 3 new songs to add to our repertoire.

Looking forward to Harrisburg..

Strutta will be on soon to disacknowledge this post..