Phantom Regiment in the Rain

Phantom's 1996 performance is one of the first past shows that I experienced after my first DCI show, via Google video. The opener was one of the first truly spine-tingling moments that a drum corps ever gave me. Reading about such a momentous occasion really makes me wish I could have been there; the electricity that must have existed based on the article must have been awe-inspiring.

Phantom's 1996 performance is one of the first past shows that I experienced after my first DCI show, via Google video. The opener was one of the first truly spine-tingling moments that a drum corps ever gave me. Reading about such a momentous occasion really makes me wish I could have been there; the electricity that must have existed based on the article must have been awe-inspiring.

Sha...I aged out in '95--how do you think I feel??

I recall one year at allentown they brought in a helicopter to try and dry the field. Anyone else remember this?

From the July 16, 2004 Fanfare, contributed by Allentown committee chair Bob Black:

The helicopter incident is probably our most remembered moment. In thinking over anecdotes from prior years, I suppose the moment that will most be remembered by fans was during the early morning of Saturday Prelims in 1984. Heavy-duty rain fell on Friday, and the Allentown School District (owner of the stadium) did not want us to use the field on Saturday. They had that authority spelled out in the contract.

Before 8:00 am we had to convince them we could dry the field within a few hours. I was able to find a helicopter charter service that was willing to come immediately and blow dry the field. I actually got the owner/pilot out of bed. Within about 30 minutes he came flying over the mountain “to the rescue.” There was great applause. In that short 30-minute span, we had to clear all spectators from the bleachers, and then keep them away from harm for about an hour. This was no easy task…the crowd size was already about 5,000 by 8:00 am.