Phantom Regiment in the Rain

Jeff Williams contributed this story about performing with Phantom Regiment in the rain in 1996. It follows up the "Favorite Memories" theme from last week.

If you have a favorite memory to share (or any other story), send it to boomike@dci.org.

Jeff Williams contributed this story about performing with Phantom Regiment in the rain in 1996. It follows up the "Favorite Memories" theme from last week.

If you have a favorite memory to share (or any other story), send it to boomike@dci.org.

I was on staff that year. At the Madison show, we were on the starting line and the organizer asked if we wanted to go, or come back off the field and wait out the torential downpour.

Our Director said, "Let em go".

The corps did one of its most emotional shows that night and the crowd went nuts.

The visual techs (including myself) all had perspectives we watched the show from and we would talk afterwards.

Mine that night was the side one end zone.

I, and the rest of the techs, were out in the rain as well trying to be professional.

The kids were unbelievable.

What a night.

I was on staff that year. At the Madison show, we were on the starting line and the organizer asked if we wanted to go, or come back off the field and wait out the torential downpour.

Our Director said, "Let em go".

The corps did one of its most emotional shows that night and the crowd went nuts.

The visual techs (including myself) all had perspectives we watched the show from and we would talk afterwards.

Mine that night was the side one end zone.

I, and the rest of the techs, were out in the rain as well trying to be professional.

The kids were unbelievable.

What a night.

An interesting Fanfare column (Alert: Another attempt to get you folks to send something in to help keep the column alive) would be one about performing in inclement conditions, and perhaps how you pulled through and were even hyped by it. Rain...heat...abnormal summer cold...

The Glassmen in Allentown comes to mind immediately...2005, I think?

Or was it 2004?

The Glassmen in Allentown comes to mind immediately...2005, I think?

Or was it 2004?

It was 2004, first night. Cavies should have had encore that night but since the show ran so long because of the rain delay nobody did one. Very disappointing. Blue Devils encore second night was awesome though.

one year at allentown they brought in a helicopter to try and dry the field. Anyone else remember this?

My high school did this my freshman year (1996) to dry off our field so that we could hold our home show.

It should be noted that the 96 Regiment practiced in the rain and dark late into the night the day before finals.

even though we were in 3rd, 1.4 out of first all the kids believed based on our scores running up to DCI week that we could still pull it off.

There was a contra player I instructed his rookie year at Spirit, and his age out year at Regiment named Rich.

I told him that night we were 1.4 out of first and there were 7 judges.

If we went up .1 in each caption, and BD went down .1 in each caption, we would tie them for the title.

I nearly crapped myself when it actually happened.

I hope he is on DCP to verify this LOL

I was in the stands that night. The rain started and we sat. The downpour really started and many started to get up and head for drier areas. I saw one of the judges motion with his hands for everyone to sit down. It was the only time I saw Regiment that year, and they were thrilling. The fact that Cadets and BD were having stellar years (I actually liked Cadets better than BD) made Regiment's accomplishment even more exciting. I didn't get to see the finals and had to get the scores from a recording from DCI two days later. I couldn't believe it. Great job PR! :worthy::huh::worthy::worthy::angry: