Bridgemen lead baris now on euph

johnric

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so our 8 lead baris are now on euphomiums. We did it to try and darken the top of our low brass and take some of the brightness out.....

besides some of the juniors, does anyone else do this?

Star of Indianna used to do it. SCV has done it when they marched all Euphs. Phantom apparently did it last year on all Euphs. I'm not sure of many/any all-age corps that do it.

There's issues with lead on Euph. Aside from being harder to do, many of the Euphonium models tend to have poor intonation tendancies in the upper register. Mainly a really flat high C, at least on my Kanstul G. And my Degs Bb and G both play flat all around. Although the Degs seem to have better relative/average intonation, and tend to favor the smaller pieces that favor lead playing. Euphs are mainly good for power playing. The larger bore lets you play much louder than a baritone. Euphonium also has a nicer sound, but it doesn't really cut through a line for solos, or exposed parts that need to be noticed.

Not sure what arrangements the Bridgemen are going with this year, but if they're converting to euphs it sounds like they're shooting for power at the low end.

well we seem to have some real talent on lead. Yeah the intonation problems are well known... we are dealing with it though.

The nice part is with 8 leads we can back off the "power" and concentrate on playing well. The volume will come from the amount of players and the fact that the horn does put out all on its own. The real nice thing it does is bring the leads back down with the 2,3,and 4ths. We started to sound too much like the mid range.

lets face it... low brass is what makes a line sound awesome!!!! so the lower you can get it.... the better!!!

Our leads do it. I love that Euph sound. The 1sts actually lay a bari in front of them as a wekness test to see if the others will break and pick it up instead!!

Our leads do it. I love that Euph sound. The 1sts actually lay a bari in front of them as a wekness test to see if the others will break and pick it up instead!!

cool! yeah I love the sound as well.. We decided to carry baris for parades and the euphs for all other gigs. Two of our leads are a little "small" for the horn but they'll get there!! :P

well we seem to have some real talent on lead. Yeah the intonation problems are well known... we are dealing with it though.

The nice part is with 8 leads we can back off the "power" and concentrate on playing well. The volume will come from the amount of players and the fact that the horn does put out all on its own. The real nice thing it does is bring the leads back down with the 2,3,and 4ths. We started to sound too much like the mid range.

lets face it... low brass is what makes a line sound awesome!!!! so the lower you can get it.... the better!!!

Still can't hear you!!! Jerome yes The guy next to Jerome yes.. you No.. :P

Edited by Bond624