Bridgemen lead baris now on euph

johnric

Jim,

I couldn't agree more with you, Sully's move to the Bridgemen in 79' was a huge loss for North Star and obviously a huge gain for your corps!

Of course, that happened back in the day when movement between corps was more of an aberration than the norm that it seems to be today.

Hope to meet you in Harrisburg,

Paul

Paul,

Yes, I'm sorry about that!

But, you guys still rocked without him, (North Star was never short on talent!), and we desperately needed him, and his "heart" in 1979! (I think we only had about 30-35 horns on the roster as late as April 15th, that year!).

For me, that was the Bridgemen corps that had the biggest heart, in my four seasons in Bayonne. And Sully was one of the key people at the center of our energy, and drive that year! His influence was very strong, and much appreciated, by myself, and everyone else!

Once he joined our ranks, his enthusiasm was contagious, and I am personally very grateful that he came on board with us.

I look forward to meeting you in Harrisburg, as well. We are all very excited about appearing there this year, as it will be the first time for the Bridgemen, and the first time ever in attendance for many of us, myself included! We've heard nothing but wonderful things about the show!

Jim

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And just to get back on topic...

Those euphs sounded really GREAT at our rehearsal last week!

I just hope that John, Jerome, Jim, and Co. are doing plenty of pull-ups, push-ups, military presses, and other exercises to strengthen their arms, shoulders, and backs, cause...

YOU'RE GONNA NEED IT!!! :lol:

:rolleyes:

Word. Holding up my euphonium on Sunday felt like trying to hold up a Greyhound bus in front of me!

It took time to adjust to holding up a 3-valve DEG bari last year, so I expect this to be a similar experience.

What REALLY scares me will be to do "The Bridgemen Shuffle" over and over again in rehearsal with this beast!

Bmen06_Rchstr_0786_HH.jpg

Pictured: Baritones wailing on "My Favorite Things" in Rochester, NY on Sept. 3, 2006 for the DCA Alumni Spectacular.

Photo courtesy of Harry Heidelmark, Drum Corps World photographer.

Paul,

Sully was a GREAT bari player, and is a GREAT guy!

I remember him well, and I remember speaking with him a lot the winter of 78-79, convincing him to come join the Bridgemen!

And, yes, North Star was a phenomenal drum corps!!!

Always very entertaining, and exciting!!!

We always looked forward to seeing you guys perform!!!

Regards,

Jim

PS - Bill Moore...Thanks for sitting in with us recently! It was an honor to have you with us at our rehearsal. You're welcome to stop by at any time! Sorry we didn't get the chance to speak.

By the way...

Congratulations on your upcoming induction into the New Jersey Drum Corps Hall of Fame!!!

Jim,

Thank You. It was a thrill to sit in with the Corps... Everyone was so welcoming and considerate. You are doing a wonderful job conducting, and the brass and perc Staff are very impressive in their musical and people skills!

Can't wait to see/hear the Corps in Harrisburg! I'll be there with Music Express.

Give my best to John (the barabarian surfer) Bermudez, and Rob (chrome lips) Hunter, please.

Thanks, also, for the invite. I will definitely stop down the next chance I get.

Good Luck,

Bill B)

Hi John,

I've just read through your post announcing that the Bridgemen are using Euphs this year. That's great news and I look forward to seeing and hearing the corps in Harrisburg! It seems that more and more corps are using these "pigs" to fatten up the low brass sound.

I'm playing Euph myself with Mass Brass and Legends of Drum Corps and there's no question that these horns require a little more effort - in terms of the obvious physical issues, but also in terms of technique (air support - you can't get lazy) when playing on the high end of the horn. For me, the extra effort is worth it because of the beautiful dark sound.

We play mixed parts at Mass Brass, so I get an opportunity to play all over the horn's range and it's just a lot of fun.

I lug my horn around in a Ritter upright euphonium gig bag and it's almost a perfect fit - I think I paid about $75 for it. As for mouthpieces, I'm using a Steven Mead SM5 with the intention of moving into my SM4 hopefully by Rochester - it's a little bigger than I'm used to and I need to work up to it, but they both have nice deep cups with very comfortable slightly rounded rims as compared to the Bach pieces.

Bill Moore, I heard a rumor that you might be in the Boston area next Thursday as we take a turn through " "Flag of Stars" with "Legends" for the first time. If so, I'll make a point to say hello and introduce myself.

Regards,

Paul

Paul,

I think we might have met. I played contra with Legends, last Season (I was one of the original baris, back when Jim Wedge and Rick Connor had the brass line. I brought SAC's "National Emblem" up to Malden, and taught it to the horn line, then.).

If I've got the right guy, you were on 3rd bari with Legends last year(?). If not, I apologize, and look forward to meeting you on Thurs., if I can get it together to make the trip, or in Nutley, NJ, for SAC's Show. I'll be with SKY, SAC and Music Express at that one.

Give my best to Buzzy, Larry, Jerry, Dave, Eddie, Kenny, and the rest of my Bahston Buddies, if I don't see you till then, please.

Regards,

Bill B)

Word. Holding up my euphonium on Sunday felt like trying to hold up a Greyhound bus in front of me!

It took time to adjust to holding up a 3-valve DEG bari last year, so I expect this to be a similar experience.

What REALLY scares me will be to do "The Bridgemen Shuffle" over and over again in rehearsal with this beast!

Bmen06_Rchstr_0786_HH.jpg

Pictured: Baritones wailing on "My Favorite Things" in Rochester, NY on Sept. 3, 2006 for the DCA Alumni Spectacular.

Photo courtesy of Harry Heidelmark, Drum Corps World photographer.

Wahhhhhhh Wahhhhhhhh Wahhhhhhh leave it to a horn player ..... they want deeper sounds, full balance and all that stuff and than what happens???

THE HORN IS TOO BIG AND HEAVY !!!!!!!!!

Try on a quint or a bass (there is 6 to choose from) or a snare for that matter....add in non stop playing, marching etc ......

( OH did I mention IM kidding and I wanted to stur the beehive a little LOLOLOL)

Now back on the topic.....

heck nevermind....its all good .........its winter, Im bored, no rehearsals in the near future so I wanted some excitement ; ))))))

DID I MENTION.....JUST JOKING, KIDDING, MESSING WITH YOUSE GUYS !!!!!!!!!

Wahhhhhhh Wahhhhhhhh Wahhhhhhh leave it to a horn player ..... they want deeper sounds, full balance and all that stuff and than what happens???

THE HORN IS TOO BIG AND HEAVY !!!!!!!!!

Try on a quint or a bass (there is 6 to choose from) or a snare for that matter....add in non stop playing, marching etc ......

( OH did I mention IM kidding and I wanted to stur the beehive a little LOLOLOL)

Now back on the topic.....

heck nevermind....its all good .........its winter, Im bored, no rehearsals in the near future so I wanted some excitement ; ))))))

DID I MENTION.....JUST JOKING, KIDDING, MESSING WITH YOUSE GUYS !!!!!!!!!

Be patient, PULLO...

the battle will be commencing shortly. :P

Actually, in CV we've got some on euph on all parts. I've played the solos the past couple of years on euph.

A few years ago we put everyone on euphs...worked out well for us. Love the sound.

Personally, to develop my "euph muscles", I put an ankle weight on the end of the horn last camp. 2 1/2 pounds to start with and I'll adjust it up or down as the season goes. It was unreal but when I took it off toward the end of camp, man, did it make that horn lighter. The first horns up after that almost went over my head.

Can't wait to hear Bridgemen on euphs! Rock on!

Be patient, PULLO...

the battle will be commencing shortly. :P

Ahhhh Vorenus, the sweet taste of battle, I do miss it so.

Maybe we can send Cesars hornline to gladiator training camp so to build some muscle......

Ahhhh Vorenus, the sweet taste of battle, I do miss it so.

Maybe we can send Cesars hornline to gladiator training camp so to build some muscle......

gladiator?

you mean like this? b**bs

gladiator_photo.jpg

how 'bout we send you guys off to the gladiator training camp and they just make a trade off instead?

if they send THOSE gladiators back you'll see women lining up to join the guard.

^0^