Bridgemen lead baris now on euph

johnric

Very intriguing, and quite an investment. I take it the Corps owns the horns(?). It'd be interesting to know what mouthpieces are being used on them, or on the lower parts, for that matter. It is possible, of course to darken the timbre of the baris, by using rather deep cups, and "open" backbores, but the small leadpipes allow only so much in that area, as far as stock mpcs. are concerned.

I play a 5G.So do John and some of the others(or at least something comparable).One plays a 1-1/2 G(aka turlet bowl).The bigger the better,I say. :) Definately lost some of the edge we had playing on the smaller horns(and mouthpieces).

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice.. You got me on that one..

Oh to help you out.. Look online for the baritone/euph soft case/gig bag. (ebay) the euphs can fit in that pretty nicely that is what we used because the cases are soo huge taking up half the trunk Space.. And if you load it right you can use them on the bus without damaging.. but if you can use the case then..

we gave a couple of the soft bags to the guys that needed them right away.. I need to get one. I ain't carrying that coffin around!!

Very intriguing, and quite an investment. I take it the Corps owns the horns(?). It'd be interesting to know what mouthpieces are being used on them, or on the lower parts, for that matter. It is possible, of course to darken the timbre of the baris, by using rather deep cups, and "open" backbores, but the small leadpipes allow only so much in that area, as far as stock mpcs. are concerned.

SKY bari line in early '70s featured euphs thru the entire line. They were massive G/F, V/Rs from the Great North. The Alumni Corps used them when we first started. Trouble with those things is they had small leadpipes, so some guys were playing them with very shallow and narrow mpcs.

Anyways, can't wait to hear Bridgemen on Stage and Field this Season.

As a fan, I'd like to offer many thanks to all the folks who travel so far, and have worked so hard to bring the Corps back to us!

Have FUN!!!

Bill Moore B)

hey Bill!

actually its been kinda half and half and a work in progress. We purchased some new horns, some members own them, and we borrowed some. As we move along we are purchasing horns so that we own all that we need. they're just not the easiest horns to find!!!!

hey Bill!

actually its been kinda half and half and a work in progress. We purchased some new horns, some members own them, and we borrowed some. As we move along we are purchasing horns so that we own all that we need. they're just not the easiest horns to find!!!!

Good luck with the search. I'm really looking forward to hearing the sound. I've been thinking about using a euph for bari 1 with Music Express. I can use the Wick 4AL hvywt. from my concert euph...

SKY Alumni is fielding a euph section this Season, but they are playing a mix of bari 3 (with the bari 3 section), old "bassbaritone" parts, from/on the '60s charts, and splitting some of the bass parts, with the contra section. We have 4 euphs, 5 bari 3 and 10 contras, so the Bottom is being served well!

Thanks again,

Bill Moore B)

Hi John,

I've just read through your post announcing that the Bridgemen are using Euphs this year. That's great news and I look forward to seeing and hearing the corps in Harrisburg! It seems that more and more corps are using these "pigs" to fatten up the low brass sound.

I'm playing Euph myself with Mass Brass and Legends of Drum Corps and there's no question that these horns require a little more effort - in terms of the obvious physical issues, but also in terms of technique (air support - you can't get lazy) when playing on the high end of the horn. For me, the extra effort is worth it because of the beautiful dark sound.

We play mixed parts at Mass Brass, so I get an opportunity to play all over the horn's range and it's just a lot of fun.

I lug my horn around in a Ritter upright euphonium gig bag and it's almost a perfect fit - I think I paid about $75 for it. As for mouthpieces, I'm using a Steven Mead SM5 with the intention of moving into my SM4 hopefully by Rochester - it's a little bigger than I'm used to and I need to work up to it, but they both have nice deep cups with very comfortable slightly rounded rims as compared to the Bach pieces.

Bill Moore, I heard a rumor that you might be in the Boston area next Thursday as we take a turn through " "Flag of Stars" with "Legends" for the first time. If so, I'll make a point to say hello and introduce myself.

Regards,

Paul

North Star!

I really MISS that corps.

They were our kindred spirits in Massachusetts.

I loved their Stevie Wonder charts (like "Sir Duke") among others.

And the "Chrome Wall" drumline was WICKED!

We always knew we would be treated to a fun show when they were on the field.

That's cool ATTREIDES, thanks for the kind words. We were always huge fans of the Bridgemen, as we knew you folks were always going to push the limits of performance and production.

It's funny that you mentioned Sir Duke, as our Bari soloist in that tune (Dave Sullivan - Sully) left North Star the following year and marched with you folks in 1979.

Regards,

Paul

That's cool ATTREIDES, thanks for the kind words. We were always huge fans of the Bridgemen, as we knew you folks were always going to push the limits of performance and production.

It's funny that you mentioned Sir Duke, as our Bari soloist in that tune (Dave Sullivan - Sully) left North Star the following year and marched with you folks in 1979.

Regards,

Paul

Paul,

Sully was a GREAT bari player, and is a GREAT guy!

I remember him well, and I remember speaking with him a lot the winter of 78-79, convincing him to come join the Bridgemen!

And, yes, North Star was a phenomenal drum corps!!!

Always very entertaining, and exciting!!!

We always looked forward to seeing you guys perform!!!

Regards,

Jim

PS - Bill Moore...Thanks for sitting in with us recently! It was an honor to have you with us at our rehearsal. You're welcome to stop by at any time! Sorry we didn't get the chance to speak.

By the way...

Congratulations on your upcoming induction into the New Jersey Drum Corps Hall of Fame!!!

Jim,

I couldn't agree more with you, Sully's move to the Bridgemen in 79' was a huge loss for North Star and obviously a huge gain for your corps!

Of course, that happened back in the day when movement between corps was more of an aberration than the norm that it seems to be today.

Hope to meet you in Harrisburg,

Paul