2007 Pacific Coast Open

The city of Bakersfield, CA. will have an opportunity to host 3 days of drum corps. In addition to the "Sounds of Summer" show on June 20th, drum corps returns to Memorial Stadium at Bakersfield College for 2 days (Aug. 4th/5th) for the Div. II/III Pacific Coast Open. This will be the final tune-up for the corps heading into Pasadena for Championships Week.

I hate to sound biased (and no disrespect to Pasadena City College), but this pretty big junior college stadium has been a prime spot to watch drum corps which actually hasn't seen it since 1989 (to the best of my knowledge).

August 4th lineup

August 5th lineup

Bravo, DCI. Bravo. ^OO^

172244913_419e29dea7.jpg

Edited by Wildabeast

Oh, so they decided on Bakersfield? I heard the original plan was Santa Barbara, but this is nice too.

I'll be there at the August 4 show, but don't look for me. I'll be a little busy. :blink:

EDIT: Wow, I just checked, and we're coming from the Lake Havasu show the night before. Fun. Now that's real drum corps. :D

Edited by crashhelmi36

I'll be there, of course. Come and watch on Sunday :)

Bakersfield is my hometown. I've always wondered why the previous Bakersfield shows weren't at the BC stadium. This stadium will be awesome for drum corps!

Finally, back at home!

I heard this a few weeks ago from Dan Boyle (VK, SCV alumn).

I saw my first live drum corps show here and it's less than 4 miles from my home now!!!

The pic posted is the visitor's side. I've never been over there that I can remember.

Oh, the reason there hasn't a DCI show there since 89 is that the school likes to charge too much for the venue and take a share of the profits--from what I have heard anyway.

This is going to be the greatest year of drum corps ever. I have a weekend of it at home and then I'm off to finals a week later. I can't wait.

The pic posted is the visitor's side. I've never been over there that I can remember.

Oh, the reason there hasn't a DCI show there since 89 is that the school likes to charge too much for the venue and take a share of the profits--from what I have heard anyway.

...and since the picture doesn't show it, the home side is a mirror image minus the pressbox. It was either '81 or '82 where the fans sat on the visitors' side. All of the old ARBBO shows used that side. I know I sat on the home side in '86 & '89.

As far as the time gap, I heard the same reason.

Edited by Wildabeast

...and since the picture doesn't show it, the home side is a mirror image minus the pressbox. It was either '81 or '82 where the fans sat on the visitors' side. All of the old ARBBO shows used that side. I know I sat on the home side in '86 & '89.

As far as the time gap, I heard the same reason.

Ha! I always for get about marching band. I was at ARRBO all four years of high school and now remember sitting visitors' side. Up through 1989, that show was the big one that capped off the season around these parts.

What band were you with Wil? I'll tell you mine first--Taft Union High School 1985 through 1989 seasons and graduated in '90. :lol:

Edited by ravedodger

Oh, so they decided on Bakersfield? I heard the original plan was Santa Barbara, but this is nice too.

Yeah--it should be a great venue for you guys marching. We have a number of public high schools within the city--no less than 8 that I can think of at the moment (BHS, North, South, East, West, Liberty, Centennial, and Stockdale.

...we're coming from the Lake Havasu show the night before. Fun. Now that's real drum corps. :D
That's not too far away. Probably about six hours. Could be wrong though.