Corps Offering Free Tuition

I don't see anything wrong with that - are you against kids getting the best education they can?

um no?

All three of my boys go to private schools. The two youngest holding consistent 4.0 gpa.

The oldest a 17 year old senior takes a solid load of AP courses at one of the most challenging highschools in the country Bellarmine College Prep. He nearly aced his SAT and tested out of taking English in college. Applying to USC and Stanford among other schools.

Really.

Mom

In the 5 years I marched I never signed a thing LOL

I didn't sign anything at Regiment (that I recall), but I did sign a contract for the Americanos. Guess it's relative, Regiment isn't that worried that people will leave for something "better."

In fact, in April of 02 I was prevented from auditioning at Regiment (found out they might have some bari holes) by the 'Canos, because I had already signed my contract, and they wouldn't give me a release.

Edited by raphael18

With hundreds of youth auditioning to get into the top corps, there's no reason for any such corps to offer scholarships as there are so many others willing to pay full price and give up their internal organs if need be to march with these units. The corps that don't have hundreds of youth auditioning likely don't have the money to think about such a thing.

Mom, you've been trying really, really hard lately to come up with intriguing questions. Please let your neurons unwind.

Exactly...well said, Mr. Boo.

There are always posts that center around the same fact but it's something that too many people just don't want to get through their heads...

Kids will go march where they want to march, no matter what the show is, who the instructors are or how much (or how little, in the case posed by the original poster) it costs.

jwillis35, I dig what you're saying, but the original poster did not imply:

1. that these were the only two corps in DCI offering free tuition.

2. that the fictional member was changing midseason.

Many people have touched on the rule that members can't change corps after a certain date. If this is in a contract signed by the member, there is no dillemma here.

However, what I took from the post was "is it fair for a member to march one season with a corps offering free tuition, and then the next season a 'better' corps offers free tuition, it's not fair for him to go march the better corps; he should stay where he's at."

This ultimately goes back to, once again, if Johnny Marcher works hard to make the "better" corps, regardless of costs, and makes it, who are you to say that he shouldn't march there because he made a commitment to a different corps the PREVIOUS season.

Now, I'm all about corps loyalty, but if a kid's dream is to march Vanguard, why would you try to stifle that?

I mean, be honest. When you first got into drum corps, where you really thinking about who the mello tech at corps a was, or were you thinking about how awesome Phantom's (or any corps that you really like) hornline was?

It's easy to evaluate things after the fact when we're not marching anymore, but think about it from the member's point of view.

So yeah, it's my birthday, and I'm on DCP. Time fix that. Off to Hooters!