How awesome was Scott Stewart?

Scott Stewart was and is the greatest leader I ever had. It was not about only what happened on the field. He trained members to be good and responsible men. We were brothers. Even if any of us had severe disagreements, we were brothers. We took the field with a purpose, and that purpose was meant for the audience.

Scott managed the organization so well that I believe it will never be matched by any corps.

When he left, Scouts had so much money. More money than any corps has ever known. In a very short time, Scouts went deep into debt. How is this possible? I am not going to post how much money we had, but we had a lot. More money than you would think a drum corps should have. He was paid only enough money to remain alive. He lived for months on food left oever from the previous summer. He lived in the corps office. He drove a car (some crappy little Geo) that did not even come with a radio. We never went hungry. I could not believe the stories from friends in other top 6 corps at their conditions. "We got a bowl of fruit salad today." WHAT? The most I ever had to pay in dues was $500. That was 1999. What has happened?

So disappointing and disgusting.

I am not saying that absolutely everything he did was perfect, but Scott Stewart was awesome. Ever corps should trust him with their operation.

In my opinion.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ilon...

First off, when did you march? I think we may have marched together.

Back on topic. First off, watch out for those that will say that Scott micro-managed the organization and that Scott did not do anything for the community or that he may have hurt ties with the city of Madison.

First and foremost, yes, he lived a life far different from many just so that our beloved corps could survive and there were not big pay checks going out in random directions. He lived a life as corps director that I am truly jealous of. He was a happy, content person that lived on $.05 a day on tour, I think that was the joke.

We had great equipment, great designers, and yes, we were fed incredibly well during his tenure.

We did not have a semi for food, because, well...they could feed us great with our modest cook truck and by having GREAT relationships with many of our housing sites which allowed us to use their kitchens.

We played concerts in the city. At the capital, at a local church, at housing communities with individuals with special needs, among many other things, yet there has been talk about how there were severed ties with the city, I never saw that.

I learned how to interact with people because of Scott. My eyes and mind have been opened to so many things because of the Madison Scouts and Scott Stewart.

He taught me the importance of family, both my corps family, and my personal family.

I learned to perform for the right reasons, and that is a lesson I have been able to pass on to my students.

When a housing site in Orlando was not going to be suitable for finals, Scott put us in hotels, HOTELS!.

I hear stories about rehearsing 10, 12 hours during tour on the day of a show, then we did what, 8 on non-show days and less on show days, and were still "competitive," makes you think! Oh and for those of you that read that statement and say they weren't competitive those last few years because of placement, I could care less about that, so don't quote me and say something trite.

As far as the finances of the corps, I can't say much about how much money we had and the organization had following Scott, but yeah, I paid $500 in 1997, $400 in 1998, and $350 in 1999, and we still ate great, travelled great, and had a great time.

Did Scott make mistakes, sure, but he's human, and every one of us make mistakes, it's how we learn. He's a great person, a wonderful friend, brother, father, counselor, and I wish every person on this planet could spend even 1 day with him, we'd all be better for it!

Scott Stewart was and is the greatest leader I ever had. It was not about only what happened on the field. He trained members to be good and responsible men. We were brothers. Even if any of us had severe disagreements, we were brothers. We took the field with a purpose, and that purpose was meant for the audience.

Scott managed the organization so well that I believe it will never be matched by any corps.

When he left, Scouts had so much money. More money than any corps has ever known. In a very short time, Scouts went deep into debt. How is this possible? I am not going to post how much money we had, but we had a lot. More money than you would think a drum corps should have. He was paid only enough money to remain alive. He lived for months on food left oever from the previous summer. He lived in the corps office. He drove a car (some crappy little Geo) that did not even come with a radio. We never went hungry. I could not believe the stories from friends in other top 6 corps at their conditions. "We got a bowl of fruit salad today." WHAT? The most I ever had to pay in dues was $500. That was 1999. What has happened?

So disappointing and disgusting.

I am not saying that absolutely everything he did was perfect, but Scott Stewart was awesome. Ever corps should trust him with their operation.

In my opinion.

I have great respect for Scott Stewart and all the great things he accomplished over the years, but I think you're misinformed about several things. I know for a fact the Scouts were in a financial bind before Scott was let go. I also know that most of the top six eat well, and the Scouts didn't have a food truck for a very long time. I know the corps ate well, but not having a cook truck doesn't make any sense from a management or food quality point of view. The other thing is the poor placements in 2001 and then not making finals in 2002 was the last straw. IMO, there is just no excuse for an organization with the history of the Scouts to not make finals. Corps fees of $500 is just not realistic in todays age of drum corps. As an organization, one wonders if their vision is too rooted on their past glory, and not enough toward their future. This will be a telling season for the Scouts IMO.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

I have great respect for Scott Stewart, but I think you're misinformed about several things. I know for a fact the Scouts were in a financial bind before Scott was let go. I also know that most of the top six eat well, and the Scouts didn't have a food truck for a very long time. I know the corps ate well, but not having a cook truck doesn't make any sense from a management or food quality point of view. The other thing is the poor placements in 2001 and then not making finals in 2002 was the last straw. IMO, there is just no excuse for an organization with the history of the Scouts to not make finals. As an organization, one wonders if their vision is too rooted on their past glory, and not enough on their future. This will be a telling season IMO.

Agreed.

I think the Scouts and for the most part, PR did an incredible feat in putting two perennial finalist corps down the road each year without tons of cash on hand. Scott once told me (late 90s) that the toured for less than $175K as a corps. This was at a time when most corps budgets were over half a million. Scott built a loyal following of alumni and was instrumental in bringing about the recent alumni project.

My son marched the 02 season and it was a very tough one for the entire organization...especially for Scott.

I actually think Scott would be a bit embarrassed by this thread. I think he always thought of himself as just another Scout.

Okay...Okay...wait a minute, I wasn’t going to say anything but I can’t let this go by. I do believe that you are misinformed.

I will PM you and give you the links for you to read. I don’t think bringing up these things in a public form are productive to the Scouts.

I also know that most of the top six eat well, and the Scouts didn't have a food truck for a very long time. I know the corps ate well, but not having a cook truck doesn't make any sense from a management or food quality point of view.

Food truck??? Huh? If you knew how the corps was run when Stewart ran it, you wouldn't have said that. The Scouts had great relationships with the schools that they stayed. Free rein to the schools kitchen was the norm.

There is just no excuse for an organization with the history of the Scouts to not make finals.

Doesn’t that history include 1972, 1965 and 64?

I think the Scouts will do fine this year. I also think that Scott did a great job.

Edited by RobertPi1ot

Food truck??? Huh? If you knew how the corps was run when Stewart ran it, you wouldn't have said that. The Scouts had great relationships with the schools that they stayed. Free rein to the schools kitchen was the norm.

Doesn’t that history include 1972, 1965 and 64?

I do know how the corps was run, and IMO, it still made no sense to not have a food truck. IMO, there's just no excuse for a corps the caliber and quality of the Scouts to not be in the dance. Going back to the 60's and early 70's predates the corps rise to super corps status. I think Scott did a lot of great things over the years, but sometimes you have to see where things are headed, and be proactive. IMO, the Scouts, as an organization, seem to have a tough time doing this. I hope the new team pulls it together and they have a great season.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

I do know how the corps was run, and IMO, it still made no sense to not have a food truck.

We had a food truck. It transported food and cooking equipment.

I liked eating inside. I always felt sorry for the other corps.

Would you like to sit on the ground or at a cafeteria table?

Would you like to be outside or in air conditioning?

Would you like to battle against insects and elements while consuming your meal?

I am sure that many corps' cooks do an incredible job cooking, but a cook in an air conditioned environment with professional level ranges and ovens is a happier cook.

After every show, our cooks presented a spread of leftovers from previous meals, desserts, PB&J, juice, water, etc.

I think this approach makes perfect sense.

I hope the new team pulls it together and they have a great season.

Jeff Spanos and T.R. Fitz-Gibbon are awesome as well. They will have a great season!

Corps fees of $500 is just not realistic in todays age of drum corps. As an organization, one wonders if their vision is too rooted on their past glory, and not enough toward their future. This will be a telling season for the Scouts IMO.

I think my experience seven years ago was in "todays age of drum corps."

My point was that drum corps can and should be accessible. I should not hear from students that they cannot march drum corps because it is too expensive. Ok, $1,500, so... add $1,000 x 135 = an extra $135,000. That makes a difference, but should not make or break a corps if you are running it properly. This is my point.

The people who are managing corps do not run things as efficiently and wisely as they could.

Do not mention rising fuel prices. Again, a thing that should not make or break a corps. (It can make or beak you, if you are not running it properly. Look at some other threads regarding touring, etc.)

The proof comes from something that Todd Schultz mentioned. If one was a veteran, the dues were less and less. There were vets paying $200.

This was not 1960. It was 1999 & 2000.

Maybe they should hire him back.

Jeff Spanos and T.R. Fitz-Gibbon did a great job with Scouts before, and they will do a great job in the future. I have confidence in them and the Scouts' future. I expect that they have good vision and direction for what the Scouts will become. They have my full support.