Thank You, Buccaneers!

I'd like to thank the management of the Reading Buccaneers for their hospitality earlier today (Sunday) when Barbara and I had a chance to visit the corps.

Our visit to the Bucs' rehearsal at Twin Valley High School capped off a nice weekend in Pennsylvania Dutch country. We spent the day Saturday with our niece Stephanie.... she's a junior at Kutztown University in PA. Today, it was off to Twin Valley.

SHAMELESS PLUG TIME: The main reason we stopped at Twin Valley was for me to interview Bucs director Jim Gruber for an upcoming issue of Drum Corps World.

END OF SHAMELESS PLUG.

We also got a chance to view the Buccaneers' brass section during their sectional and ensemble time, and then a full ensemble session with brass and percussion.

I won't give any particular details or give away any secrets, but what the heck.... I'll go ahead and make a prediction for the 2007 DCA season.

Yes, I know it's only the early part of March.... and yes, I know a lot of things can change between now and the end of the summer.

So.... I am going way out on a limb here, but here goes:

I predict that the Reading Buccaneers will, indeed, be a DCA Open Class finalist this year.

It's a bold statement, I know........ :P

Fran

Fran,

A li'l birdie told me that you and Barbara made a stop there today. Such a bold prediction. I look forward to seeing the Bucs and the Harings this year!

Great to see you and Barb yesterday Fran - even though you did give permission for my keyboard to be blocked up the aisle :P

Fran:

It was a pleasure to see you and Barbara again yesterday. We appreciate your interest in profiling Commodore Gruber and the Bucs in our 50th anniversary year. Glad you could stick around and see -- and hear -- what Team Blue is up to this winter.

Less than two months until Spring Preview. Good luck finding a shirt for the occasion!

Less than two months until Spring Preview. Good luck finding a shirt for the occasion!

Thanks, Tom. I'll need the good luck.... since Jim Cossetti has challenged me to a shirt-off that day!

Seriously.... it was great to get a chance to watch the horn line rehearse. The focus and desire of the players and the staff is quite evident. A good group of people!

Fran

Oh. A "shirt-off." When I first read this, I thought you were talking about going "shirts off" and Jim challenged you to something like a pose-down. I must tell you that I did an unpleasant double-take! :P I suppose "shirt-off" and "shirts off" are equally disturbing -- for very different reasons!

Glad you enjoyed the rehearsal, Fran. We do have some incredibly dedicated and talented members and teachers -- thanks for mentioning it!

Fran is much taller than I, so he has more to 'off' than me.........excluding girth, that is......and I'm on-line

looking at some of the most grotesque shirtaree that nature has ever produced......beware Fran...even tho the

Farmer's Market has been torn down, I may have found their Hawaiian shirt supplier........Tom, put on yer glasses

and hide the women and children...........

Jimbalaya :worthy:

Fran is much taller than I, so he has more to 'off' than me.........excluding girth, that is......and I'm on-line

looking at some of the most grotesque shirtaree that nature has ever produced......beware Fran...even tho the

Farmer's Market has been torn down, I may have found their Hawaiian shirt supplier........Tom, put on yer glasses

Jimbalaya :ph34r:

HAHA, I miss the farmers market. That's where I got all my albums, cheap. I am pretty sure they were all stolen as well.

Jimbalaya :ph34r:

I think I just might have to call in sick that weekend. :P

I learned from Fran on Sunday that this will be his 25th year announcing DCA shows. Seems to be the year of anniversaries -- in the Bucs alone we have our 50th, Walt Street's 40th in drum corps, Jimmy Gruber's 50th birthday, Diane Koenig's 30th year as a Buccaneer.

In honor of Fran's anniversary, perhaps we should challenge the entire Spring Preview crowd to come dressed in Hawaiian attire. Then again, it might distract the performers too much!