Technique Topic #2

MHSmirage

So we go from wrists to core excercises...... What do you do in your program to build those most important core muscles that you need for balance?

I find that an understanding of core/distal connectivity works and is needed almost more than core strength. If your hands are connected and you have an understanding of the relationship between them and the center of your body, you know how the parts work with the whole and in turn can balance and move the body as one. Only so much strength is required, but if everything is in alignment, your core need only stay engaged to achieve balance.

A good modern training will help with core/distal connectivity in balance. A few good exercises...

The X-series. (On the ground, in an x, rolling to a fetal position on the side, or back or up, many variations) I've experienced these kinds of exercises in many different guards. Often though, the connection that you can gain from it is sometimes lost in translation. The initiation from the ocre is important, but it is also important to switch with the inititation between the core to the arms or to the legs, because in dance and in color guard the distal most points of the body will begin with the core simply stabilizing. Also, it is important to use the sense of breath to connect the movement, as well as yielding to the ground and using it as a stabilizer and getting a connection in that manner. There is also a connection that is necessary with the mind involved in the exercises, focusing it on clear smooth movement and control which is necessary for balance.

As for maintaining alignment and a neutral position which is extremely important to have for balance, there are a few good exercises I can think of off the top of my head.

Spending a good 2-3 minutes everyday finding a clear, neutral first position parallel and focusing with length throughout the body and watching for problematic alignment is essential. Then, taking that proper alignment, and doing across the floors, with weight shifts is important as well. You might find that many people can stand with good alignment, but as soon as the body moves many things are thrown off when adding simple arms and weight shifts, such as the hips, ribs, shoulders and neck. (Usually due to tension)

If your members understand these key issues of alignment and core/distal connectivity, then balancing should be nothing more than a lift and there it is!

Edited by Stick Stack

^What he/she said.

X series is fine for colorguard, but over training in modern can lead to some weird things in ballet, as I've found out. The reverse is true also, ballet interferes with modern. With that being said, if your core movement training is ballet, be careful what modern exercises you do with your guard. Like I said though X Series on the floor is great for core initiation and full body awareness. Forward bounces and loops (if you know what they are) can lead to leading with the head in ballet during movement, and that is not good.

Core strength is so pivotal to a good leap and a soft landing and stability for weapon tosses. Lots of pilates and different kinds of crunches are good, but you have to change the routine or your body will get used to it and thus plateau your progress (same for stretching). Breathing is also important so you can utilize those core muscles you've developed. As a general rule, always exhale on the hardest part of the exercise or when you leap etc.

And having good alignment is soooo important in guard as well. I used to have pitch on flag spins because my left foot was always the tiniest bit behind the right foot standing in second for instance. Without good alignment it would be extremely hard to clean dance work in guard.

(I think sometimes explaining core-distal muscle activity can be beyond some people. Trying explaining how to do a battement with initiation from the psoas muscles to high schoolers, that would be interesting. But if you can, I agree, it's good to know)

^What he/she said.

X series is fine for colorguard, but over training in modern can lead to some weird things in ballet, as I've found out. The reverse is true also, ballet interferes with modern. With that being said, if your core movement training is ballet, be careful what modern exercises you do with your guard. Like I said though X Series on the floor is great for core initiation and full body awareness. Forward bounces and loops (if you know what they are) can lead to leading with the head in ballet during movement, and that is not good.

Core strength is so pivotal to a good leap and a soft landing and stability for weapon tosses. Lots of pilates and different kinds of crunches are good, but you have to change the routine or your body will get used to it and thus plateau your progress (same for stretching). Breathing is also important so you can utilize those core muscles you've developed. As a general rule, always exhale on the hardest part of the exercise or when you leap etc.

And having good alignment is soooo important in guard as well. I used to have pitch on flag spins because my left foot was always the tiniest bit behind the right foot standing in second for instance. Without good alignment it would be extremely hard to clean dance work in guard.

(I think sometimes explaining core-distal muscle activity can be beyond some people. Trying explaining how to do a battement with initiation from the psoas muscles to high schoolers, that would be interesting. But if you can, I agree, it's good to know)

Also what he/she said.

It can get a little over their head sometimes, but if you take that time slowly in the begining, I've seen it pay off well. There's only so much time in a season, but I think if you start off training these things properly and slowly, it will help immensely in the long run.

Planning not just for the current season, but continuing the education and making kind of a long term goal in both movement and equipment will result in some beautiful control and technique.

Edited by Stick Stack

I guess my fear of doing X series especialy for a Sch A group is that it is a little more advance in movement understanding for them. Perhaps an edited or abv. version would be ok?

I tried to do it with another high school I was working with and it turned into 'lay down and lazy' time.....totaly lost what I was trying to achive. I have reduced my core program to crunches, butt ups, and plea exercises.