DCA Triple Crown

Ok. Found this topic over in the DCI forums and thought that it would be a good topic here. Many other sports have triple crowns, grand slams, etc. So, in DCA, what would be considered winning the triple crown...if anything? Finals/Caption/I&E, Finals/Mini Corps/I&E, or something else?

In 1998, the Empire Statesmen won what might be considered a pretty good Triple Crown:

The DCA title, the American Legion national title, and the World Show Band Championship title.

Not bad for a year's work!

Fran

In 1998, the Empire Statesmen won what might be considered a pretty good Triple Crown:

The DCA title, the American Legion national title, and the World Show Band Championship title.

Not bad for a year's work!

Fran

that year was great!,.................Jeff Gibbens of Erie was with Empire that year, so he got all three of those PLUS a mini corps title with the Erie Thunderbirds!

Ok. Found this topic over in the DCI forums and thought that it would be a good topic here. Many other sports have triple crowns, grand slams, etc. So, in DCA, what would be considered winning the triple crown...if anything? Finals/Caption/I&E, Finals/Mini Corps/I&E, or something else?

Some years back, I think that winning three MAJOR shows would have been considered the "Triple Crown"

For example:

World Open, Dream, DCA

Barnum, Dream, DCA

March of Champions (Baltimore), Dream , DCA

American Legion or VFW Nationals, Dream and DCA

These were shows that usually presented the top corps of the day in head-to-head competition.

I would think that today it would be something like a Regional Championship, a major invitational (Barnum or Clifton?) and DCA.

Interesting subject! Let's see some other opinions.

Ray

Some years back, I think that winning three MAJOR shows would have been considered the "Triple Crown"

For example:

World Open, Dream, DCA

Barnum, Dream, DCA

March of Champions (Baltimore), Dream , DCA

American Legion or VFW Nationals, Dream and DCA

These were shows that usually presented the top corps of the day in head-to-head competition.

I would think that today it would be something like a Regional Championship, a major invitational (Barnum or Clifton?) and DCA.

Interesting subject! Let's see some other opinions.

Ray

"Senior Tripple Crowns":

A "Tripple Crown" could include the State Championship (When they still HAD "State Championships", and they meant something), the Dream Contest and or the Legion/DCA Championship.

The New York Skyliners claimed a "Tripple Crown" with their 1966 wins at the New York State Legion, the Dream Contest and the DCA. The Hurricanes had their "Tripple Crown" in 1967 with wins at the Dream, Legion and DCA. I am sure that there are several more memorable "Senior Tripple Crowns", but those two come to mind.

Elphaba

"Senior Tripple Crowns":

A "Tripple Crown" could include the State Championship (When they still HAD "State Championships", and they meant something), the Dream Contest and or the Legion/DCA Championship.

The New York Skyliners claimed a "Tripple Crown" with their 1966 wins at the New York State Legion, the Dream Contest and the DCA. The Hurricanes had their "Tripple Crown" in 1967 with wins at the Dream, Legion and DCA. I am sure that there are several more memorable "Senior Tripple Crowns", but those two come to mind.

Elphaba

Sky also had a triple crown in 71: Dream, World Open and DCA

Andy "and I was there" Lisko

Sky also had a triple crown in 71: Dream, World Open and DCA

Andy "and I was there" Lisko

Interesting how in almost everyone's post's that " The Dream " was in every combination of the past. To all you younger people, you can see how Important that Contest was. Shame with all that "Evolving" that such an important Show could not be saved. But once Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City was closed off and demolished a huge part of the Dream experience was gone.

Maybe with Barnum coming back, and a Big Regional some, then tied with the DCA Championship it will be possible again.

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

Interesting how in almost everyone's post's that " The Dream " was in every combination of the past. To all you younger people, you can see how Important that Contest was. Same with all that "Evolving" that such an important Show could not be saved. But once Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City was closed off and demolished a huge part of the Dream experience was gone.

Maybe with Barnum coming back, and a Big Regional some, then tied with the DCA Championship it will be possible again.

is the Scranton show an invitational/AL championships ?

seems a triple crown is an artificial idea that doesn't fit so well here. How about Grand Slam? or Super Slam? or Royal Flush? or The Big Kahuna? or win every show?

Interesting how in almost everyone's post's that " The Dream " was in every combination of the past. To all you younger people, you can see how Important that Contest was.

Hurricanes - 1967: Dream, AL Nats, DCA

:-)

is the Scranton show an invitational/AL championships ?

Last year, the Scranton show was run by the local American Legion people, but was not the AL national title show, as far as I know. (The Orange Flag, signifying the national champion, was not given out at last year's show.)

In 2002-2005, the years the DCA championship was most recently held in Scranton, the show also served as the American Legion national title show.

In 1997, Doc Sebastianelli revived the American Legion national title show.... which had not been held since 1980, I believe. The show ran from 1997 through 2001 as a regular-season event, until it was combined with the DCA title show through 2005.

Fran