Why not cornets?

Bushsnare

I am definitely not claiming to be a brass expert (look at my user name) but I was talking to a friend who I would say is an expert on brass and I respect his opinion. I also agree with him on his ideas. He was saying that Bb trumpets sound better than bugles in the lower range but are very "shreaky" in the upper range. This is due to the fact that the bugle is a conical instrument as opposed to a trumpet having a straighter bore. To keep this mellowness in the lower register but also keep the bugle sound in the upper register, why don't corps use cornets (since cornets are conical instruments as well)? :angry:

Modern sopranos aren't conical. In fact, they have more cylindrical tubing than their trumpet counterparts.

I am definitely not claiming to be a brass expert (look at my user name) but I was talking to a friend who I would say is an expert on brass and I respect his opinion. I also agree with him on his ideas. He was saying that Bb trumpets sound better than bugles in the lower range but are very "shreaky" in the upper range. This is due to the fact that the bugle is a conical instrument as opposed to a trumpet having a straighter bore. To keep this mellowness in the lower register but also keep the bugle sound in the upper register, why don't corps use cornets (since cornets are conical instruments as well)? :angry:

True bugles are conical, but drum corps sopranos are and have always been trumpets. The original US Regulation Bugle was a valveless field trumpet. So a cornet wouldn't and couldn't keep the bugle sound.

Cornets have also lost much of their original concial nature due to the extensive use of slides for tuning and in the valve section as well. Sooner or later someone will try cornets, but not for their upper register qualities. Afterall, the great screamers of the brass world all play trumpets.

Good answer re: cornets. I thought of that a long time ago and came to the same conclusion as far as upper register. However, there has been a long tradition of superb concert coronet solos and soloists in brass band music: Herbert L. Clarke comes immediately to mind. But you are totally correct in pointing out that in modern jazz brass sections in particular, the top of the brass choir is the trumpet. The cornet is as much a dinosaur as either the Eb Alto trombone or the sakbutt is to lower brass.

A remastered collection of Mr. Clarke's work with The Sousa Band is, still, by the way, available. (Do a search on Herbert L. Clarke.) It is a highly recommended addition to any brass players' listening library.

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

• 2 weeks later...
The cornet is as much a dinosaur as either the Eb Alto trombone or the sakbutt is to lower brass.

Welllll, not exactly. The alto trombone is making a comeback in orchestral circles as they try to find closer ties to the composers wishes, such is the works Beethoven, Haydn, Mozart, etc.

And many modern composers are using it in their works as well, especially in trombone ensembles - quartets, choirs, and the like.

Your post is still valid, just being nit-picky.

I love the sound of a cornet; I actually prefer it for British-style military band music. That music on trumpets just doesn't sound right to me.

One of the best horns I ever played was a really old cornet...it must have been 1940s era. What a sweet tone that thing had. :)