Breathe-Dah

What is "breathe-dah" technique?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Inquiring minds what to know. What is "breathe-dah" technique?

• Pixie Dust
    • Placebo

lol. That analogy is always used for attacks, breathe-dah, and whatever other word or phase applies. The truth is, once one gets becomes proficient at something the less conscious one has to be about the mechanics. Things do become more or less automatic. I think it kind of follows with muscle memory.

What kills me about brass players is that they have all these absolute mentalities. All the real world uses are theories and methods. Everyone likes the method that he likes best. What's funny is when two people are arguing about something but describing the same thing only with different words. IMO, this absolute mentality is the only thing bad about drum corps. Drum corps re-enforces absolutes.

Ravedodger, I love you.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an example... Who ACTUALLY watches the drum major? I mean, you do for a few places, but your eyes are not glued to them the entire show... Same idea... It's all muscle memory... If you know how to play on time, breathe-dah is a big waste... lol.

Here's an example... Who ACTUALLY watches the drum major? I mean, you do for a few places, but your eyes are not glued to them the entire show... Same idea... It's all muscle memory... If you know how to play on time, breathe-dah is a big waste... lol.

Breathe-Dah means 2 things to me. 1) it's used with the mindset of uniform attacks as an exercise. 2) it's a mindset that reminds you that there is nothing between the breath and the articulation. You create a vacuum then instantly release it.

One is about precision .. the other is about fundamental breathing technique. Some may say it's the same thing. IMO, if you apply analogy 2 first ... analogy 1 is never an issue so long as you aren't stricken with the worst tempo control of all time.

Breathe-Dah .. apply directly to the forehead.

I find this discussion to be tremendously funny.

Shorty, if you're the shorty I'm thinking of, it's even more funny that this is the topic that pulls your first post. :)

And for everyone else who's over-analyzing breath-dah, think of it as a mantra to remind players to relax and to get back to the basics of the ensemble's technique (whatever that may be) when things are getting tough.

Shorty, if you're the shorty I'm thinking of, it's even more funny that this is the topic that pulls your first post. :)

And for everyone else who's over-analyzing breath-dah, think of it as a mantra to remind players to relax and to get back to the basics of the ensemble's technique (whatever that may be) when things are getting tough.

(How many "Shortys" do you know that MIGHT have their interest piqued by this subject? :doh: )

Actually, just as a point of historical and technical perspective, what is now referred to as "Breathe-Dah" technique was originally simply a means by which we could get 64 brass players from disparate backgrounds and schools of thought to have a common point from which to begin. Yes, the technique is simple in concept but once mastered it provides invaluable as a "trouble shooting" tool for any manner of error or inconsistency especially with regard to timing or articulation.

And yes, it IS especially useful in teaching young or inexperienced ensembles to play well but that should not preclude its use or application to more mature or more talented ensembles. My experience with all levels of brass ensembles tells me that sometimes, the seemingly simplest approach will provide the best results.

(How many "Shortys" do you know that MIGHT have their interest piqued by this subject? :doh: )

Actually, just as a point of historical and technical perspective, what is now referred to as "Breathe-Dah" technique was originally simply a means by which we could get 64 brass players from disparate backgrounds and schools of thought to have a common point from which to begin. Yes, the technique is simple in concept but once mastered it provides invaluable as a "trouble shooting" tool for any manner of error or inconsistency especially with regard to timing or articulation.

And yes, it IS especially useful in teaching young or inexperienced ensembles to play well but that should not preclude its use or application to more mature or more talented ensembles. My experience with all levels of brass ensembles tells me that sometimes, the seemingly simplest approach will provide the best results.

If this is truly Shorty,

edited for content ... I can never tell those stories on a public message board.

btw shorty .. check out the 1990 thread in the historical forums

Yep, judging from your description of "breath dah" I'm pretty sure you're the one. ;). I'm thinking of the Shorty known around Star of Indiana (ie Donnie Vandoren protege)...your reputation proceeds you and stories about you were legend by the time I got to Star.