Making the tour fee a little less painful...

If anyone has any ideas for a college student to raise money for the tour fee. I have a friend that has a job while in college, but can't pay the tour fee, and she can't miss all of the work hours while she's on tour over the summer. How does everyone else do it?

start by asking friends and family for financial help. that has helped quite a bit in my case.

start by asking friends and family for financial help. that has helped quite a bit in my case.

Excellent suggestion.........some of the members at VK have already done this, and have received a tremendous response.

There's less painfull ways to come up with the money. The one time that I participated in getting sponsors for a marathon thing, I was averaging about $35 an hour for my efforts. It may not be much but it's a lot quicker than working a minimum wage job and paying taxes out of that wage to cover the costs. So if your corps offers alternative ways to finance your fees, then take advantage of them if you can.

Back in the day, my corps had on tour work programs to help justify offsetting some of the expenses that couldn't be paid by some members. Things like helping the kitchen staff take the trash to the dumpster, during what would have otherwise been your on tour free time.

By all means ask friends and family. Just be sensitive that they might want something in return, like a thankyou, or a picture of you on tour, or to mow their yard at a later date. Otherwise it might work this year, but when you ask again next year....

If you're graduating, mailing out notices or invites of such a thing, to ALL of your relatives can result in return mail with cash. Sorry I couldn't make it, here's $20, and congradulations. I started tour with some $800 in my pocket in 1989 just from what I got as graduation gifts. Oh what a fun year that was.

There are very few people in the world that will give you money when you ask for it. Fewer still that will do so if you don't ask. So ask for help if you want or need it, there's a 50/50 chance they'll say yes. Which is a 0% chance if you never ask.

sponsors are what my girlfriend and i are going to pretty much rely on.

i know i can get some money from my parents and aunts/uncles, but that won't be more than maybe $400ish, and we need $1100 just to cover membership/tour fees.

we also need to pay for 2 or 3 round trip flights from here in TX where i'm going to school back to CA to the corps we're (hopefully) marching

but, i know we can't do it unless we find some friendly people with money.... :(

Edited by Gbassman5

I didn something I wasnt supposed to be doing which was investing some of my student grant. :ph34r: Hey, It helped.

Edited by sopchick_01

try band parents, directors, boosters, and any and all of your doctors, including orthodontists and dentists. they've give to me 2 years in a row and still need an explanation of what it is each time i vist. haha

just send nice letters to EVERYONE. every little bit helps.

My son recently raised $875 for his summer spending money by selling off the old Lionel trains we had in the attic on eBay. Go around to all of your relatives, neighbors, friends, local businesses, etc. and see if they have any items they would be willing to donate to you that you can sell on eBay. "One man's trash is another man's treasure".