Life after bingo

Is there Drum Corps without bingo?

It's a simple question but there may not be a simple answer. For many years Bingo halls have been the life blood of drum corps around the country. But now bingo is on it's wayout for a number of reasons. The one's that are still around are being held onto by life and limb by the organizations that are sponsored by them. So, what of the startup corps out there? What happens when either logistical or philosophical issues force bingo to be a non option for a start up corps? Where's the constant money flow come from? Grants? Centerplate? Where?

I'd like to hear thoughts from both young and old. Any idea would be a great idea IMHO

(edit: because MS spell check lied to me)

Edited by pito'evil

http://www.starofindiana.org/history/rec1.html

Bingo has been a long standing staple to funding drum and bugle corps. But there are other ways. In the above link, you'll see that Star had set up several corporations that donated their profits to the non profit side of the corps. You can also look to YEA! as an example of using alternative funding to feed the coffers of it's drum corps. USSBA is a money maker that funds Crossmen/Cadets, as well as the "Music is Cool" clinics that they offer.

Other corps, like Arizona Academy, have partnered with the PGA in their "Birdies for Charity" campaign. Star was one of the few who found huge corporate sponsor, but they weren't the only ones.

There are many many ways to make money other than bingo. It just depends on how creative your management team is, and how much volunteer or paid support staff you have to execute your plans.

Same line goes for the Cavaliers, sponsored by the City of Rosemont. I'm not exactly sure if that means they are getting funding from the city, or what. Can someone shed light on that?

Same line goes for the Cavaliers, sponsored by the City of Rosemont. I'm not exactly sure if that means they are getting funding from the city, or what. Can someone shed light on that?

I'm sure they get "SOME" sponsorship from the City .. but I doubt it's the bulk of their funding. I pointed out Star and YEA! because they both had/have the majority of their funding from companies and corporations that they themselves manage/d in order to fund the drum corps side of things. You can also look at what Blue Devils are doing with their "BD ENTERTAINMENT" company. I'm not sure what kind of money it actually generates but it looks like they specialize in corporate gigs which often bring in a nice chunk of change. There are several All Age corps that use this approach to generate funds as well. Honestly though, I think alot of corps get a good chunk of funding from solicitation of alumns and supporters. Souvies are not to be forgotten either. Some corps generate over $100,000 gross sales each year from souvies. Again, it's not the bulk of funding .. but it all adds up.

O ic. good point.

http://www.starofindiana.org/history/rec1.html

Bingo has been a long standing staple to funding drum and bugle corps. But there are other ways. In the above link, you'll see that Star had set up several corporations that donated their profits to the non profit side of the corps. You can also look to YEA! as an example of using alternative funding to feed the coffers of it's drum corps. USSBA is a money maker that funds Crossmen/Cadets, as well as the "Music is Cool" clinics that they offer.

Other corps, like Arizona Academy, have partnered with the PGA in their "Birdies for Charity" campaign. Star was one of the few who found huge corporate sponsor, but they weren't the only ones.

There are many many ways to make money other than bingo. It just depends on how creative your management team is, and how much volunteer or paid support staff you have to execute your plans.

The Birdies for Charity thing is very cool . . CorpsVets have been extremely successful with that for a few years now. I looked into the program for California and have yet to find it in connection to any of the PGA events here. :(

I know of a few corps that work concessions at stadiums, arenas, etc. They get a percentage of the gross by working the stands, and there is no cash outlay or set up required. Just show up, work the events, and collect the money. It is pretty hard work at times, but, with dedicated people, you can raise some good money for the corps. Several of our stadiums/arenas here in Kansas have their concessions completely staffed by nonprofits. There are even a few that have waiting lists of nonprofits wanting to work!