Maynard Ferguson Show?

That was my idea for the cadets show this year. I didn't even get a shirt with that idea. <**>

Empire Statesmen are doing a Maynard show this year, and Joey Pero (one of their soloists) actually played with Maynard. Ritchee Price, the other soloist is possibly in the top 3 of all time DCA soloists both from his work with Statesmen and his work with the Rhode Island Matadors.

BTW, not ALL dca soloists just stand in front of the pit...

You're forgetting that Ritchie made a name for himself with the Bucs (early 70's) - so I don't think anyone is complaining that he stands in the pit; he earned his pit pass.

And Joey Pero (super nice kid) toured with Maynard at a very young age - he can stand anywhere he wants.

It is kind of a shame that DCI has become so sophisticated that doing a Maynard show is out of the question for the corps who actually have the talent to pull it off.

Empire Statesmen are doing a Maynard show this year, and Joey Pero (one of their soloists) actually played with Maynard. Ritchee Price, the other soloist is possibly in the top 3 of all time DCA soloists both from his work with Statesmen and his work with the Rhode Island Matadors.

BTW, not ALL dca soloists just stand in front of the pit...

Sharing the solo duties with these two guys, is the GREAT Jeff Gibbens from Erie,...................Jeff's Bio

I see youtube has an old video up of Scouts 1975 MacArthur Park concert piece.

I believe its a Maynard inspired arrangement with Chris Metzger (of course) playing Maynard's part.

Edited by bass5

High-note trumpet playing has kind of fallen by the wayside over the past few years. Kids are getting a much more musically solid foundation, which typically doesn't include notes over high C. It's extraordinarily rare to come across a young kid that has it all...sound, musicality, and incredible chops (Joey Pero comes to mind). There are very few, if any trumpet soloists in DCI right now that fit that description. However, I personally know of one trumpet player (soloist with cadets right now) who not only plays extremely musically, but has absolutely frightening chops as well.