DC shows during off months

DC shows during off months  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Read below first--Would you attend a Sr Corps show/event from September to May?

• Do birds have wings? Yes, of course!
    • No
  2. 2. Read below first--Would you attend an event that did not look like a traditional DCI shows?

• OK, sounds interesting--yes!
    • Not only no...
  3. 3. How much would you pay for such an event?

• DCI doesn't charge enough! More than $100!!
    • Let's be reasonable--$20-40.
    • Reasonable?? Let's try $10-20!

OK, if I step on feet give me grace--brainstorming! I'm not a Sr Corps vet.

It occurs to me that there's not much going on in the DC world from Sept to May except right here on good old DCP. So what if someone came along and, say, put together something LIVE and IN A STADIUM NEAR YOU!! For sake of argument, let's say a few Sr. Corps band (bad choice of words, I know!) together and present a show of some kind. Would you attend?

Question #1:

Sr. Corps are made up of a good number of professionals, teachers, etc who are older than DCI rules (and our bodies!) allow to participate in Jr Corps. So, if I understand correctly, it would be just as easy to have a Sr Corps show in November or March as in July or August. Yes, there are weather issues--bear with me. If there were something--ANYTHING!!--that resembled a DC show, assuming quality music (though maybe not quite the same calibre visual, drill, and GE), would you attend?

Question #2:

Say one group, be that a Sr. Corps, a start-up, a Jr. Corps--whatever--put together some sort of event. This event consisted of full field performances of the ensemble, perhaps a short field performance up close, between the 35's and from the front hash up to the stands, maybe some drum stuff alone, brass stuff alone, concert stuff, guard with music accompaniment--would you go? I don't know exactly what this option would look like, so feel free to throw out options.

Question #3:

How much would you pay for this event? Realize that weather in November in Syracuse is an issue, but Syracuse U. has the Carrier Dome! Dallas has the American Airlines Center indoors (not a full field, but another option) and will soon have the fully indoor Jerry World Arena and Cowboys Playland that Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys are building. So indoor options exist, at least in some regions. But these may be quite a bit more expensive than, say, Lake Highlands High School or CH Collins in Denton, resulting in higher ticket prices.

So for the right type of performance (question #'s 1/2 above open for disucssion below), what would you be willing to pay?

DCI Finals rates?

DCI local show rates?

Something in between.

I hope you read this info before voting in the polls above. Feel free to speak out. And if I got Sr. Corps norms wrong, please NICELY inform this ignorant trombonist. Just understand that I am reserving the right to think outside of the DCI/DCA boxes.

And yes, Hrothgar, that means the option to use electronics and vocals is on the table, too! Might make for an interesting jazz set--accompaniment for the guard set if nothing else!

Interesting - if the Sr. Corps shifted their season they might open up the jr. corps market. Jr. Corps members would then be potential consumers and members.

I don't know how well it would work, but the thought of marching year-round is interesting. Would probably resemble some hybrid WGI or Winterdrumline event with brass.

Interesting - if the Sr. Corps shifted their season they might open up the jr. corps market. Jr. Corps members would then be potential consumers and members.

I don't know how well it would work, but the thought of marching year-round is interesting. Would probably resemble some hybrid WGI or Winterdrumline event with brass.

Yeah, like I said--I don't know what it WOULD look like, but it might be interesting to see...

Thoughts, raphael? Anything goes. Think outside the DCI/DCA box. Not criticizing, just wanting original thoughts. DCI works fine for DCI, DCA works fine for DCA--I'm leaving all options on the table. If my community band can draw 800-1000 at the Dallas Meyerson Symphony Center, how many could a similar group in a DC format of some kind draw at the new Jerry World or AAC?

Any of you Star United vets have input? Blast? Brass Theatre?Your organization has had some pretty ingenious stuff over the years in related areas.