non-finalist caption winners?

Greetings,

In 1977, the Oakland Crusaders won high percussion in prelims, but the corps did not make finals. They had a strong drumline that year, and actually had shows where they finished last but won high percussion, as the corps especially struggled early in the season....to their credit, they improved significantly by the end of the season, although I am sure the drumline was a bit heartbroken that they had no chance at the high percussion trophy. To the best of my knowledge, this is the only time in DCI history where a corps actually won a caption at prelims at nationals and yet did not make finals. Does anyone know if this ever happened at VFW or American Legion Nationals? Just curious. I was in a DCI finalist corps' drumline in 77, and I remember when they were getting ready to announce high percussion at finals, there was quite a bit of "Oakland" yelling/laughing happening on the field, as we all knew that BD was going to win by "default"......GB