Standard Corps Operating Budget and Fundraising Tactics

Hey,

I just had a couple quick questions for those in the know. How much money does a typical top 12 corps operate on? What's the spread from say a top 3 corps to a 15th or 16th place corps?

Also what's the breakdown of their funding sources? How much from dues, fundraising, sponsorship, etc?

Cheers,

That's a loaded question, or questions!

A top level Div 1 corps budget can be near a cool million for one single season. I've seen budgets of $750K to over $1M. Compared to the mid to lower level Division 1 corps, some can operate on as little as $200K or less. Mid range corps probably on average would have an expense budget of $250K - $400K...just an educated guess based on years in corps management that ended a few seasons ago.

Where does it come from? Dues is a small part of it. Souvie sales for the top corps is a huge source, with some of the top corps bringing in over a quarter of a million in sales each year, compared to under $50K for lower tiered Div 1 corps. Many corps have bingo income. There's just not one answer...there's as many different ways for corps to raise their operating capitol as there are corps.

Edited by ssorrell

Yeah,

No worries. I understand it's a loaded question; it's about 99% innocent. Mostly just trying to figure out what it takes to get a corps off the ground and how people are raising the money/running the operation.

I'm just curious about different methods of running a corps. I mean I'm not entirely sure about the range of budgets/operational tactics. It seems to me that Drum Corps is really a logistics and operations business. If those aren't together than the whole thing falters (obviously). However, it often seems as though these aspects aren't priorities for the businesses (corps).

For instance; Amazon.com actually spends most of it's money not on the website but on shipping and logistics development to keep costs down and turn a profit (ocassionally). I think that corps could operate the same way.

I'm also curious to know if anyone has ever thought about or established a corps endowment fund. There are obviously thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of drum corps alumni out there at this point in time. I know the majority of people donate money on a yearly basis but it seems as if those donations are burned through relatively quickly by the corps.

What about if the corps took those donations and invested them to return a certain % every year and focussed fundraising/donation efforts on establishing an endowment. If it only takes 250000 - 500000 per year to run a corps (it's a lot, but not obscene) a five million dollar endowment would easily provide enough money on a yearly basis to make a solid operating base for a corps.

5 million is 5000 $1000 donations or 50000 $100 donations, etc. Although it seems like a ton of money/donations it is probably feasible for a number of corps or DCI to focus efforts on establishing this type of support. Especially as many older marching members (aka the early days) get older and have large sums of money for philanthropic endeavours.

Anywho; just trying to figure out what it takes to set up a solid operational base for a corps and how much money goes into those activities every year.

Thanks

Souvie sales for the top corps is a huge source, with some of the top corps bringing in over a quarter of a million in sales each year, compared to under $50K for lower tiered Div 1 corps.

These are gross figures correct? I don't know of any corps that nets over $100,000 in souvie sales. I could be wrong on this, since I have been out of management for a few years, but the numbers in your post seem extremely high to me.

Souvie sales for the top corps is a huge source, with some of the top corps bringing in over a quarter of a million in sales each year, compared to under $50K for lower tiered Div 1 corps.

These are gross figures correct? I don't know of any corps that nets over $100,000 in souvie sales. I could be wrong on this, since I have been out of management for a few years, but the numbers in your post seem extremely high to me.

Yes, those were gross figures, but if a corps is operating their souvie business wisely, and I'm sure the ones that make that kind of money are, they should be netting at least $100K if they are grossing $250K. Markup on most souvie items is at least 100%.

It seems to me that Drum Corps is really a logistics and operations business. If those aren't together than the whole thing falters (obviously). However, it often seems as though these aspects aren't priorities for the businesses (corps).

Many corps are operated by musicians, former band directors, or even former corps members. they aren't necessarily business men and women...therein lies the problems when you try to compare the drum corps "business" to the average business in other industries. On the flip side, there are quite a few business savy directors and BoDs that operate their corps in a very mainstream business way, and those corps will continue to be successful while others find it difficult.

I'm also curious to know if anyone has ever thought about or established a corps endowment fund. There are obviously thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of drum corps alumni out there at this point in time. I know the majority of people donate money on a yearly basis but it seems as if those donations are burned through relatively quickly by the corps.

I think you are sadly mistaken if you believe that the majority of drum corps alumni donate money on a yearly basis. The majority of drum corps alumni never do anything past their time with their corps. And for those that do find it in their hearts to donate at some point in time, their supportive nature many times is short lived. Few, very few, will donate yearly for years on end. Some will find their way back into the drum corps fold and donate 3 or 4 years, if that long. And others might do nothing more than drop $5 in a bucket at the souvenir booth at a show if the corps is trying to raise money for their gas fund.

I know that my experience is limited to but one Division 1 corps, but I would bet money that 95% of the other corps out there would share the same basic results.

What about if the corps took those donations and invested them to return a certain % every year and focussed fundraising/donation efforts on establishing an endowment. If it only takes 250000 - 500000 per year to run a corps (it's a lot, but not obscene) a five million dollar endowment would easily provide enough money on a yearly basis to make a solid operating base for a corps.

5 million is 5000 $1000 donations or 50000 $100 donations, etc. Although it seems like a ton of money/donations it is probably feasible for a number of corps or DCI to focus efforts on establishing this type of support. Especially as many older marching members (aka the early days) get older and have large sums of money for philanthropic endeavours. ).

Let's use Spirit as an example...we've got 30 years as a drum corps under our belt. quite a few corps have many more years, while others haven't reached such a milestone yet. If, and we know this isn't true, we had complete turnover every year, we would only have 3800+ alumni. 5000 $1000 donations wouldn't be possible, nor would 50000 $100 donations (I guarantee you that NO corps could ever receive 50,000 donations, especially if you are counting on it from alumni alone!).

I think you are also over estimating the number of people that can afford "philanthropic endeavors". Just because we get older, doesn't mean we have loads of extra disposable income. Far from it.

Edited by ssorrell

I know that some corps will try anything to make ends meet. Suncoast Sound used to have the members go on street corners, in those hot wool cadet uniforms, and hold their shakos (sp?) out for money. They got the idea from a local fire department. Obviously, it didn't make up for the apparent financial mess they were in but it helped.