Thoughts about 2008

It's the real deal ... it's on their website. I imagine that getting all of the members of the Bands and Color Guards together for an international trip is a huge undertaking and Dayton just isn't on their radar.

wherrrrreee is this?!?! i was looking but didnt see it.... send the link if u could please :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's crazy that Logan won't be going to WGI. That's like cake with no icing. Hrumph... <**> But, if they want to go to the Olympics, more power to 'em, I couldn't choose a better high school guard to represent us.

I predict In Motion becoming a stronger force in the IW category, and Corona Light doing well, too. I'd like to see NL come back, or at least another all-guy guard. I need my eye candy, lol.

wherrrrreee is this?!?! i was looking but didnt see it.... send the link if u could please :)

Their website doesn't say anything about not going to Dayton in 2008 but I guess word has gotten out to some guard directors that they won't be coming to Dayton because of the trip to Beijing. My computer has decided to freak out and is freezing up every two seconds but I think their website is loganbandandcolorguard.org

BTW ... I don't think that there is another guard unit that can represent the U.S. better than Logan.

Well, Logan is a Performing Arts school so that is certainly a factor ....

What is a "performing arts school" anyway? I went to Logan, and I sure did not have to take anything artsy there. Logan is a public high school in the New Haven Unified School District in Union City, California. Just like any other high school, the vast majority of people do not take any performing arts classes at all. I always hear this "performing arts school" rumor for the past half decade or so. I don't know what it is, but I do find it amusing. Perhaps I just have a different definition of the phrase.

What is a "performing arts school" anyway? I went to Logan, and I sure did not have to take anything artsy there. Logan is a public high school in the New Haven Unified School District in Union City, California. Just like any other high school, the vast majority of people do not take any performing arts classes at all. I always hear this "performing arts school" rumor for the past half decade or so. I don't know what it is, but I do find it amusing. Perhaps I just have a different definition of the phrase.

Why is Logan considered to be a "performing arts school"? That's a good question. Ever since I first heard of Logan seven years ago "performing arts school" has always been attached to it. Maybe it's the 3,000 seat pavilion built especially for their performing arts show. I'm told that it has a professional quality sound and lighting system, full size dance studio, etc. And I guess not many schools have a "theatre in the round" with a professional sound and lighting system either. I know a lot of directors complain that they are squeezed out of the basketball gym even when they're scheduled for practice time. I suppose you could say that Logan isn't a "performing arts high school" the way that the New York School for the Performing Arts is but they are lucky in that they are in a school district that recognizes the importance of "the arts" and has given them access to professional quality theatre and equipment on their campus.

Edited by Guardwatcher

Why is Logan considered to be a "performing arts school"? That's a good question. Ever since I first heard of Logan seven years ago "performing arts school" has always been attached to it. Maybe it's the 3,000 seat pavilion built especially for their performing arts show. I'm told that it has a professional quality sound and lighting system, full size dance studio, etc. And I guess not many schools have a "theatre in the round" with a professional sound and lighting system either. I know a lot of directors complain that they are squeezed out of the basketball gym even when they're scheduled for practice time. I suppose you could say that Logan isn't a "performing arts high school" the way that the New York School for the Performing Arts is but they are lucky in that they are in a school district that recognizes the importance of "the arts" and has given them access to professional quality theatre and equipment.

I remembered when the 3,000 seat pavilion was finished. That was in 1986. Logan did not even have a color guard back then. It was built primarily because the old gym was outdated and could not fit the huge Logan population.

I do know that the community in Union City has been very favorable in passing school bonds acts over the past several decades when compared to other school districts. The community always seem to pass any school bonds act that comes its way. For instance, a $55 million bond was passed in 1993 to provide technologies and facilities and $35 million in 1996 for even more facilities. Furthermore, another bond was passed in 2003 which will pay for facilities upgrades at various schools within the district.

On the other side of the token, the community right next to Union City is currently in a teacher strike.

the whispers through the grapevine are saying that pride is taking 2008 off BUT if they come out, the guard will be all male and will have more members from NL. i guess they had some this year. i only saw them once and it was at world class prelims, so i didn't have a chance to really check out the people.

as i said, this is only a rumor and don't upset with me if it turns out not to be true!! :)

That's crazy that Logan won't be going to WGI. That's like cake with no icing. Hrumph... <**> But, if they want to go to the Olympics, more power to 'em, I couldn't choose a better high school guard to represent us.

I predict In Motion becoming a stronger force in the IW category, and Corona Light doing well, too. I'd like to see NL come back, or at least another all-guy guard. I need my eye candy, lol.

Their website doesn't say anything about not going to Dayton in 2008 but I guess word has gotten out to some guard directors that they won't be coming to Dayton because of the trip to Beijing. My computer has decided to freak out and is freezing up every two seconds but I think their website is loganbandandcolorguard.org

BTW ... I don't think that there is another guard unit that can represent the U.S. better than Logan.

Being asked to perform at the Summer Olympics is a great honor, a once in a lifetime thing. Going to China along with LOGAN'S marching band & guard will be BEYER high school from Modesto CA, other Modesto City high schools and one from Seattle (that I know of right now). There will be a lot of good representation from the US. It is a great opportunity for these kids. MARK METZGER, LOGAN'S guard instructor will be in charge of the guards that are going to China. I am sure they will put on a great performance.

I just hope we get to see the guards perform while they're at the Olympics. How exciting that would be!

If Pride doesn't come out, I guess there will be a ton of people going to audition for Zydeco color guard in Dayton,Ohio (assuming they are moving into IW).

Being asked to perform at the Summer Olympics is a great honor, a once in a lifetime thing. Going to China along with LOGAN'S marching band & guard will be BEYER high school from Modesto CA, other Modesto City high schools and one from Seattle (that I know of right now). There will be a lot of good representation from the US. It is a great opportunity for these kids. MARK METZGER, LOGAN'S guard instructor will be in charge of the guards that are going to China. I am sure they will put on a great performance.

Do you know which guard from Seattle is planning on going?