Crossmen Spring Training Site

From the YEA! site - sounds like the Crossmen have a pretty sweet Spring Training site!!

Crossmen hitting the field to take on opener drill - Spring Training site set as corps enters last camp

Drill to the opener, arrangements to the closer, and a meeting of the full design team are on tap for the Crossmen this weekend as they gather for their last camp before Spring Training begins at the end of May.

The Blossom Athletic Center, located on Jones Maltsberger Road, is part of the North East Independent School District, and features an 11,000 seat football stadium with new artificial turf. This state of the art facility serves six varsity high school sports teams and all middle school athletic programs within the district.

"This facility is first class," Chambers said. Along with access to the stadium, the Crossmen will use two well-maintained soccer fields and the outfield to a baseball stadium. The corps will house in the Jimmy Littleton basketball arena and use the Piper Bass Student Center for meals, both of which are within the athletic campus.

Read full Crossmen article

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is fantastic news to hear!!!! NEISD is usually a little on the stingy side when it comes to letting bands use the stadium, much less use the rest of the facilities at Blossom. Bravo to the North East Independent School District for giving The Crossmen the facilities they need and deserve.

A few quick facts:

Commalander Stadium has Field Turf, a surface which is used at pretty much every major venue that DCI performs at.

The press box is huge, inside and out!

Every facility The Crossmen will use is within easy walking distance, but it is spread out enough to give the site a very open feeling.

I hope I can get out there to see a little bit of it this weekend =)

It sounds like they'll mostly be using other fields (there are many) at the site but not the actual stadium.

The only bad thing is this facility is right by SA international airport. Great for everyone (staff and members) flying in and out of camps. But airplane noise could cause some slight disruptions from time to time.

It sounds like they'll mostly be using other fields (there are many) at the site but not the actual stadium.

Not sure how you gleaned that from the posted article. From what I've been told, they'll be in the stadium every day. Maybe not the entire corps at all times, as the other fields will be used to work sectionals and such, but even if it's just for full ensemble at the end of the day, it's worth it. And more time in a big stadium than they usually get this time of year...which is normally zero. :)

Not sure how you gleaned that from the posted article. From what I've been told, they'll be in the stadium every day. Maybe not the entire corps at all times, as the other fields will be used to work sectionals and such, but even if it's just for full ensemble at the end of the day, it's worth it. And more time in a big stadium than they usually get this time of year...which is normally zero. :)

Sorry, misread that part a bit.

Looks pretty good.

Definitely a step up from Kutsher's! :)

(Or any other previous Crossmen spring training facility for that matter.)

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!!!! KUTCHERS'S WAS THE MOST AMAZING SPRING TRAINING SITE OF ALL TIME!!! b**bs b**bs b**bs

I figured it would be sacrilegious in Texas for a drum corp to practice at a football facility. There has to be some pretty powerful politicians and business people involved in the development of the corp for these infidels to walk/march/run on these hallowed grounds! I figure the incident at the Illinois college would pale in comparison to what the Texans would do. They don't call it the lone star state for nothing!

I figured it would be sacrilegious in Texas for a drum corp to practice at a football facility. There has to be some pretty powerful politicians and business people involved in the development of the corp for these infidels to walk/march/run on these hallowed grounds! I figure the incident at the Illinois college would pale in comparison to what the Texans would do. They don't call it the lone star state for nothing!

That's true although I do know that Star got to practice in Odessa Permian's facilities before (ie Friday Night Lights). Of course, Bill Cook has quite a few connections ;)