What is key to getting really fast at singles?

blasterfun

i need some help on how to get faster at singles because when i watch a lot of snare lines they are always doing fast singles. i tighten up a lot. please help. thanks.

i need some help on how to get faster at singles because when i watch a lot of snare lines they are always doing fast singles. i tighten up a lot. please help. thanks.

Hey man,

The key to speed (any anything, not just singles)is relaxation!

Tension is your enemy. Remember that!

Also remember to keep the same technique you play slow to the higher tempos. Start very slow, and build until you reach your "threshold" (the point where your maxed out). Over time, your "threshold" will increase. Naturally you will have to bring your heights down as you get faster, but you get the idea.

And always remember to never compromise technique or sound quality for flash or speed.

Good luck!

Tony

Brigadiers

Vic Firth Education Team

hey thanks a lot...any other helpful advice from others that he didnt cover? thanks for all the help!!

Just remember, singles are just like eights for each hand. Learn to treat each hand independently, and that will allow you to focus on improving your speed.

Just remember, singles are just like eights for each hand. Learn to treat each hand independently, and that will allow you to focus on improving your speed.

hey thanks a lot...any more helpful hints?

I always practiced my tenor parts on my bed. If you can roll and play fast singles on something that kills the bounce like blankets or a pillow, you will have monster chops on a real drum.

all this is good advice, plus just plain doing it alot. the reason youe comfortable waking is because you do it all the time. if you play singles or flam drags or whatever all the time, youll be comfortable with that as well.

I always practiced my tenor parts on my bed. If you can roll and play fast singles on something that kills the bounce like blankets or a pillow, you will have monster chops on a real drum.

One major caveat with this though is that it is easier to develop tendonitis and carpal tunnel syndrome if you are working on a "dead" surface. I wouldn't say don't do it, but if you develop pain or "tightness" in your wrists, STOP, and apply ice. Wrist injuries often never completely heal, especially if you continue to use that hand.

hey thanks a lot for all the helpful advice....if there is anything else to know please let me know. thanks a lot.

hey i also nottice that when people start to go really fast with singles they use their fingers more than wrists and like drop the ring and pinky finger down on the left hand. how do you do this and is it helpful?