Flying with a French horn

Michelle

If you don't need the horn as soon as you get there. Leave it behind and ask your mom to UPS or FED EX it. If you can wait a few days or more it will arrive safely. (let them pack it for shipping). If you need it more quickly you may have them next day air it. Shipping would probably be less or about the same as the fifty bucks and maybe your mom would pay it since she would be the one shipping it. (besides, she gave your case away.)

Good luck.

i've flown multiple airlines over the past four years and never been charged for gate checking my euphonium. make sure you request the stroller tag, not the "overhead is full" tag, so that you pick it up right as you get off the plane. don't mention it when you check in/get your boarding pass, just carry it on through. i've never had any problems with it. hope this helps you in time, or if not, helps someone else :)

Most airlines actualy have a policy where they will accept any instrument (within reason, a french horn would count, a contra bassoon would probably not) as a carry on item, allowing you to use the small duffle as a personal item. They do this because they know instruments are quite valuble and they don't want to risk insurance issues and lawsuits over damanged instruments in the undercabbin luggage area. I was actualy able to take three trumpets, plus my personal item on a flight once.

There was/is a TSA exception for musical instruments. You can carry them on, or something similar and otherwise get through the security checkpoint(s). Now whether or not the TSA agent you encounter is aware of the exception is another story. And whenter the airline will allow you to carry it on is also another story.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/pro...ited-items.shtm

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/###...orial_1235.shtm

My band did quite a bit of flying while we were on tour last summer. No, there is no exception for musical instruments. As I said in the instrument cases thread, checking gig bags is a very bad idea. Your horn won't be heavy enough to cost you an extra $50 (over 50 pounds or oversize, or both as in the case of my sousa, is where the fees kick in). You may be able to get the horn on the plane in its gig bag; I would recommend the method of having it in your hand opposite the gate attendant and moving quickly into the plane before you can be intercepted; the sooner it's in an overhead compartment, the sooner it ceases to be an issue. However, as Martybucs said, barring the ability to bring it on the plane shipping is your best bet. Pack it real good and have it show up at the corps hall after you do. Unfortunately, the days of buying extra seats for instruments have passed now that every ticket purchase is scrutinized.

Well, I have heard rumors of the CSO buying their tuba its own seat, maybe look into that for the future? ;)

A string bass player I knew several years ago had to do that when flying to some auditions.

All of the airlines I've ever flown with allow two personal carry on items. If you're nice to the stewardess, she may let you put your horn with the crew's personal items, which I saw happen with a guitarist a few months ago. Most airline employee's I've met seem to be flexible when dealing with musical instruments. Of course, I've also heard a story of a major symphony that canceled a concert because the airline would not let the musicians travel with their instruments.

Your best bet is to call the airline you're flying with beforehand and see what their policy is. Kindly explain that you would much prefer to take your several thousand dollar instrument onto the plane with you, rather than risk checking it in.