Marion Cadets offer open forum about money and cost

This was in the Marion Star as a reply to a concerned alumni

Marion Cadets respond to letter about funding

Dear Editor:

Response for the article in The Marion Star on April 3, 2007.

ADVERTISEMENT

The question has risen as to where the Marion Cadets bingo money goes. Before addressing this question, I would like to verify a few things that were written that are incorrect. The statement was, "It's been several years since Marion has fielded a drum corps and many more since it fielded a competitive corps.

The Marion Cadets has fielded a corps from 1991-2000 2001-2004, as for being a competitive corps, here is a bread down:

# 1995 Drum Corps Midwest Finalist

# 1996 D.C.I. (Drum Corps International) Division II-III Finalist

# 1997 Drum Corps Midwest Champs

# 1998 Drum Corps Midwest Finalist

# 1999 Drum Corps Midwest Finalist

# 2001 D.C.I. (Drum Corps International) Division II-III Finalist

# 2002 D.C.I. (Drum Corps International) Division II-III Finalist

# 2003 D.C.I. (Drum Corps International) Division II-III Finalist Bronze Medallists

# 2004 D.C.I. (Drum Corps International) Division II-III Finalist

# 2004 Marched over 60 members

# 2003 Awarded High Percussion D.C.I. Division II-III

# 2004 Awarded High Percussion D.C.I. Division II-III

# 2001 Awarded High Guard D.C.M. & D.C.I.

# 2002 Awarded High Guard D.C.M. & D.C.I.

# 1997-1998 Awarded High Guard D.C.M.

# 1999 Awarded Best Drum Major D.C.M.

# In 2001-2004 The Marion Cadets toured over 8,000 miles each year.

The Marion Cadets have hosted a D.C.I. show since 1996. We always held our show out of Marion so that we do not conflict with the U.S. Open in any way.

We are not affiliated with the U.S. Open Commission. We are two separate businesses. That was something that the community has always gotten confused.

Michael King, Executive Director of the Marion Cadets, was on the Executive Board of D.C.I. in 2003 and was re-elected for his position in 2004.

As for the question where does the money go? Well it's simple; we have purchased three new motor coaches, one new semi and one new pick-up truck. In 2001, purchased new Yamaha drums, new horns and new uniforms. It takes money to staff a drum and bugle corps with CDL drivers, instructors, cooks, cost of fuel for tour, maintenance on vehicles for tour, constantly purchasing sticks, mallets, gloves and groceries on tour.

It is not uncommon for a drum corps to take time off the field to reform and regroup within the organization.

To answer the question of why we don't go to the local schools and recruit, most schools are not willing to let us approach their students due to marching band. We have tried several times. Unfortunately, with no luck! Most drum corps does not have an abundance of local kids in their corps. How many kids have they helped recruit to the Marion Cadets should be the question asked? Where are these people who marched here years ago to volunteer to help with camps? Volunteer with tour?

As for pictures being hung in the Cadet Hall, there are corps pictures form the past several years on the bulletin board. As for the pictures from the earlier years, for the most part, were stolen. We have a few left in the attic, afraid to put them out in public's view for fear of them being stolen. This is most unfortunate.

If anyone is interested in holding an open forum, feel free to contact the Marion Cadet Hall. We would more than happy to discuss these topics with you further.

Michael King and the Board of Directors of the Marion Drum & Bugle Corps

# 2004 Marched over 60 members

# 2004 Awarded High Percussion D.C.I. Division II-III

Not to be rude....but both are incorrect.

Teal Sound was awarded high percussion, CoH 2nd, Americanos 3rd, OC 4th I remember then been a ways off from winning perucssion. And if they marched more than 60 they would have been in div 2 this year. I remember seeing 20 brass, 7 snares, 4 tenors, 5 bass, 4 cymbals, 8 pit, 5 guard...total of 53.

Thats interesting. I was the band director of a band program within about 40 minutes of Marion. Not once did I receive a phone call or a visit--although I did once receive a flier in 2003 that indicated "we're going to Disney" that I quickly hung in my room. I had two students contact you to audition for your corps in 2004, at a time when I was unsure whether Marion would field a corps or not that fall. To my memory, they received no response. Being a person who once marched corps and a good friend of a former Marion staff member, I was surprised that my students were never called upon for recruitment.

Elmo Blatch

My question is two-fold: Is the corps still fundraising and what costs could the corps possibly have being non-active? I can only imagine that a director would not dare take money from a group a couple years after going non-competitive and calling it his "salary." I call it nice work if you can get it. The horns were bought in 2001? That was six years ago.

<**>

Edited by Elmo Blatch

According to 2004 990 records .. there are expenses of nearly $39,000 in administrative salary. So I guess that answers Elmo's question.

Thats interesting. I was the band director of a band program within about 40 minutes of Marion. Not once did I receive a phone call or a visit--although I did once receive a flier in 2003 that indicated "we're going to Disney" that I quickly hung in my room. I had two students contact you to audition for your corps in 2004, at a time when I was unsure whether Marion would field a corps or not that fall. To my memory, they received no response. Being a person who once marched corps and a good friend of a former Marion staff member, I was surprised that my students were never called upon for recruitment.

Elmo Blatch

My question is two-fold: Is the corps still fundraising and what costs could the corps possibly have being non-active? I can only imagine that a director would not dare take money from a group a couple years after going non-competitive and calling it his "salary." I call it nice work if you can get it. The horns were bought in 2001? That was six years ago.

<**>

I know all the Band directors in Marion some they have never been contacted and others say its been years.The best reply is do they still have a drum corps.As far as pay if you go to guidestar witch is public info you will see that in2003 director made 48,426,04 -45631,and 05 -38,934.there is not maney corps that would keep a director after folding twice let alone three times and getting paid.

I don't think too many horns were bought in 2001 that the corps would still be paying for them. The corps fielded as Marion Glory Cadets from 2001-2004 as a merger corps. They used some horn from both corps, or so I was told and saw. And in 2003 they used two old Euphniums from Glory, and in 2004 used 3 old Contras from Glory. Couldn't have been too many new horn bought.

I don't think too many horns were bought in 2001 that the corps would still be paying for them. The corps fielded as Marion Glory Cadets from 2001-2004 as a merger corps. They used some horn from both corps, or so I was told and saw. And in 2003 they used two old Euphniums from Glory, and in 2004 used 3 old Contras from Glory. Couldn't have been too many new horn bought.

If i remember right the new trailer they got was also from Glory and the merger.