The Cadets launch essay contest

aren't "being on teh edge of innovation and psuhing the envelope" and "returning to tradition" oxymorons?

Got there before me.

Anyway, it's not like the Cadets have ever tossed out the things that make them the Cadets, for the sake of pushing the envelope. They've gone some places with design that I haven't enjoyed that much, sure, but it's not really messed with their identity as far as I can tell. They've actually become something of a chameleon corps over the past several years. I do believe that has adversely affected their placement. If they simply do what they do well, they are a force of nature. When they are attempting to lead drum corps in new directions, it doesn't always work. When it DOES work, of course (see the early 80s), it sticks and redefines drum corps forever.

Edited by festive

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aren't "being on teh edge of innovation and psuhing the envelope" and "returning to tradition" oxymorons?

imo...absolutely not. I hate to sound like a poster child, but when your tradition IS innovation....well you know the rest. And like i've said less than a page ago, this year is a return to tradition either way (relatively speaking), with the uniforms, drill, music selections, and of course the lack of singing, characters, props...broken record blah blah blah...

Not when your tradition is being on the edge.

lol...im always 1 minute behind :ph34r:

imo...absolutely not. I hate to sound like a poster child, but when your tradition IS innovation....well you know the rest. And like i've said less than a page ago, this year is a return to tradition either way (relatively speaking), with the uniforms, drill, music selections, and of course the lack of singing, characters, props...broken record blah blah blah...

Is their narration including singing this year?

edit: Can someone answer my post at the end of page 4? I'm curious as to what you think about that.

Edited by i_play_percussion

Is their narration including singing this year?

edit: Can someone answer my post at the end of page 4? I'm curious as to what you think about that.

Haha...i just reread it...it is a very clever question. I guess the only decent answer is that they are doing a little bit of both this year. If you look at the 83 show (and i dont know a ton about that era), they did a lot of new things drill-wise, and programmatically. Im pretty sure the music wasnt revolutionary, as rph was done the year before, and the berstein stuff was difficult, it was not unheard of. They made no changes in instrumentation as far as I am aware of, and I dont believe the guard work was revolutionary. They basically had a really #### good show that was solid in most sections, which happened to introduce a new 'thing' into the activity (I know they werent the first...but close enough). I think thats why last year 'flopped' in a manner of speaking, because it really was change for change sake in every possible way. This year reminds me more of 'a good show, but using assymetrical drill', or 'a good show, but using a concept ala WSS". Will the 2007 cadets be viewed the same way as those corps...i doubt it, but you never know.

Ohh....and the answer to your question is yes

The quotes they used in the Maroon and Gold ‘this I believe’ pamphlet were very worrisome indeed

Is nice that they are trying to include the fans in the show again but I feel this is to make up for all the fans they have already alienated and that its still a negative sum loss

These radically aggressive shows may effect their retention rates and drop the talent levels they have access to, it will be interesting to see how it goes this year.

Edited by cowtown

That's funny, I have heard all of the narration that is in their show so far at the last camp, there was not any singing and there was no hint that singing would even be added.

Lol...my bad, I was answering the question from the previous page that he wanted an answer to...I've heard the most recent performance and there was no singing. Not sure if im going to mem brass yet, but im sure someone will give a report on that.