Definition of a bugle

torn8o

I found this great article on the history of "the bugle"...

http://www.tapsbugler.com/HistoryoftheBugl...ftheBugle1.html

I think the second paragraph alone pretty much sums up that it's not "the key" that makes a bugle a bugle but rather, it's conical build. However, one should take take note of the fact that the historic bugle WAS in fact "a Bb horn".

Discuss away. :)

I found this interesting:

The ancient Olympic Games in Greece included contests of trumpet playing in 396 B.C. These contests were judged not by musicality but by volume of sound. The instrument used by the Greek trumpeters was the Salpinx, a reported copy of which is preserved in the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. This Salpinx measures 157 cm. and is made of thirteen cylindrical parts made of ivory with a bell made of bronze, as is the mouthpiece.

Among famous trumpeters who participated in the games was a trumpeter named Achias, who won three times and to whom a column of honor was erected for his achievement. Another contestant was Herodorus of Megas, whose playing was so loud that many in the audience were stunned by the concussion. He was a giant man, slept on a bearskin, and when playing two trumpets at one time forced the audience to move back due to the force of his immense sound.

... Another contestant was Herodorus of Megas, whose playing was so loud that many in the audience were stunned by the concussion. He was a giant man, slept on a bearskin, and when playing two trumpets at one time forced the audience to move back due to the force of his immense sound.

He later came to the new world and joined Skyliners, where to this day, you can hear him.

one should take take note of the fact that the historic bugle WAS in fact "a Bb horn".

Actually it's the Historic Brittish Bugle that's in Bb. Historically bugles in general have been ox horns, conch shells, and hollowed out logs in various keys. Although there is some debate as to if american bugles were Bb (we were brittish colonies after all) or G/F bugles.

I was looking for my emoticon that goes with this thread. Has anyone seen it?

Oh, yes, there it is....

Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

Wonder how many conch shells were discarded because they weren't Bb? I think the oxen were bred to have Bb horns :)

Edited by Martybucs

Actually it's the Historic Brittish Bugle that's in Bb. Historically bugles in general have been ox horns, conch shells, and hollowed out logs in various keys. Although there is some debate as to if american bugles were Bb (we were brittish colonies after all) or G/F bugles.

...and later replaced by the "Conically" shaped...play any key...McDonald's Beverage cup.

Just sayin........ B)