Racine Scouts Birthday Bash

Pioneer is still wearing last year's uniform. The new uniforms should be ready by the first show in Coon Rapids.

A funny thing (not mentioned in the review)......when Pioneer DM saluted the box..........his right arm snapped up below his chest.....hitting his baton which he tucks into his sash.........causing it to go flying up over his left shoulder and down onto the track in front of the stands.

He didn't realize it had happened until he turned to conduct the corps........

I also enjoyed the announcer.........especially his comment about......I betyou all wonder why I called you here today...have you heard of 'Amway"?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SNIP

For those of you who want to know source music -- it's hard to say "movement 1 was this piece and that piece.. movement 2 was that piece and another piece.." because it's really not like that. You'll hear melodies you know and some you don't.. and then you'll hear them again later in the show.. One of the boys was kind enough to talk to us about it yesterday and explained it by saying when "Movin' Out" was written, it was done so using existing Billy Joel music to create a narrative.. and that's sort of the same approach that was used. So without going into too much detail -- not because I was asked not to, but because it's really hard to figure out how to do it -- the show will be a combination and re-combination of a series of pieces. They are using phrases and themes from The Stranger, Scenes from an Italian Restaurant, Angry Young Man, Invention in C Minor, Pressure and, I think, a few others. We only heard the first two movements today.

Any drum corps show that is this difficult to explain sounds like it will be even a stronger obstacle in presenting a coherent package for the audience. Sounds very random.

SNIP

Any drum corps show that is this difficult to explain sounds like it will be even a stronger obstacle in presenting a coherent package for the audience. Sounds very random.

Well.. I suppose if I had to take last year's show.. or the year before's.. or the year before's show.. and explained it from it's completely unfinished form, I would have had the same problem.

Somehow I doubt you can stand and look me straight in the eye and say you experienced any obstacle understanding the 007 show.. or Machine.. or even My Kind of Town as a coherent package -- any of them.

So it may sound very random now, it's also May.. and the show is far from finished. I guess you'll just have to wait and see/hear it before you decide if it's incoherent or not.

Stef

Any drum corps show that is this difficult to explain sounds like it will be even a stronger obstacle in presenting a coherent package for the audience.

And yet, somehow they keep on doing just that thing very successfully year after year. B)

Edited by mobrien

SNIP

false statement.

~>conner

SNIP

I suppose it sounds random if you try to say the first movement equates to x, 2nd to y, and 3rd to z, etc. But if you listen to 3 or 4 movements that incorporate themes from multiple sources, I imagine it can fit together pretty well musically.

Edited by sdstar

I suppose it sounds random if you try to say the first movement equates to x, 2nd to y, and 3rd to z, etc. But if you listen to 3 or 4 movements that incorporate themes from multiple sources, I imagine it can fit together pretty well musically.

This is totally off topic but ......

...those blue star cookies in your avatar look GOOD!!

Can I have one?

:blink:

Well.. I suppose if I had to take last year's show.. or the year before's.. or the year before's show.. and explained it from it's completely unfinished form, I would have had the same problem.

Somehow I doubt you can stand and look me straight in the eye and say you experienced any obstacle understanding the 007 show.. or Machine.. or even My Kind of Town as a coherent package -- any of them.

So it may sound very random now, it's also May.. and the show is far from finished. I guess you'll just have to wait and see/hear it before you decide if it's incoherent or not.

Stef

Granted....however...the My Kind of Town show was a confusing mess from a program standpint. The rest....well, I concede, the Cavies have a knack of making it work. The Billy Joel thing may just be too much a stretch for the idiom. yes, we'll see.

As far as the other comments regarding the track record, I agree...the Cavies have a consistent record of producing top shows from the movement perspective. I guess what I was hoping for...and YES it's MAY...is a direction I could understand and wrap my small but warped mind around. It's sort of Movin Out, but not entirely....it's not section 1 is this and then section 2 is this...it sounds like motifs used in several variations on a theme.

And I do believe that convoluted concepts are more difficult to sell....to members who must go outevery night and perform it and to audiences who must grasp it.

And I do believe that convoluted concepts are more difficult to sell....to members who must go outevery night and perform it and to audiences who must grasp it.

I think you'd be surprised how many of those kids already dig the show they have -- even without knowing how it will look or how audiences will react.

This is totally off topic but ......

...those blue star cookies in your avatar look GOOD!!

Can I have one?

:blink:

:D

These ones are pretty stale because they're from the December camp.

It was quite a production to do 300 of those suckers. My wife Rosa spent a week's worth of evenings making dough, rolling, cutting, baking, and putting on frosting with a paint brush. I got to put on the sprinkles. :P

If we make more, I'll save a few for you.