Bushwackers Storm Into June

rotate-old.gif

Bushwackers Storm Into June

6/5/2007

Ridgefield Park, NJ

The Bushwackers returned to Ridgefield Park, NJ this weekend to continue work on the 2007 production of "Around the Town". The corps dodged rain drops part of the weekend, and baked in the hot pre-summer sun for the rest of it, but in true Bushwacker fashion, the corps had an amazing weekend and was undeterred by the ever changing and volatile weather.

The corps continues to grow every weekend, as new members show up to fill in the last few remaining spots in the drum corps. The Bushwackers have a long standing philosophy that if you want to be a Bushwacker, you can be a Bushwacker. Over the last couple weeks the staff has worked hard to find the perfect place for everyone in the drum corps. Plenty of woodwind players, or folks who are "under experienced" in the marching arts have come to the Bushwackers every year to learn from the immensely talented veteran base that we have...as well as the world class staff, and most of them are still with the corps...working hard and contributing. Everyone is learning, and the staff has done an amazing job. Everyone is welcome to be a Bushwacker.

This past weekend was designated a "review" weekend by staff coordinator Steve Rinda. The first half of the production was the focus, allowing the corps to solidify what was already learned, as well as make some tweaks and minor revisions. It's important to the staff that the members learn the show correctly in May and June, so that we don't have to go back and make major changes during the competitive season. This philosophy is paying huge dividends, as the show continues to grow into a very impressive and well coordinated production.

Things to look for in the first 6 minutes of the show? There's so much going on, it's hard to pin down a few items for you to look out for...but I'll try to give you some:

• duets
  • screaming trumpets
  • lush, beautiful moments
  • fast moving, in your face drill
  • an AGGRESSIVE and hungry BUSH percussion section.
  • a huge and incredibly talented colorguard
  • aggressive and technical playing
  • down and dirty jazz that will blow your face off

Yeah...I know...not a lot of specifics there, but you'll get a chance to see it or hear it or read a review of it soon enough. It's been said before, but it's becoming more evident as we go along...this isn't what you've come to expect from the Bushwackers in a lot of ways, but in some ways it's exactly what you expect. It's a great show for us that really fits our true personality. While we've done such serious shows in the past, if you know us at all you know that we're a fun, goofy, laid back, strange group of people...the people who celebrate New Years in August and who have a good time whether we've come in last place or won the show. At the same time, we're very serious and passionate about drum corps (specifically our drum corps, but really the activity in general). Well, this production really fits our personallities unlike any show we've done in years. We work hard and we play hard. We can be good AND we can have fun. That's what "Around the Town" is all about.

The energy and morale of the drum corps is very high. Everyone is looking forward to performing this great show this summer! The corps is looking to fill a spot or two in the various sections, and this would be the perfect weekend to check it out if you're interested. The corps will be rehearsing in Ridgefield Park, NJ all weekend...and we intend on focusing on the back half of our show. So, come on down to Ridgefield Park (directions available HERE) and jump on in. The water is just fine.

==============

The corps' next rehearsal will be held this Saturday and Sunday, June 9th and 10th at 10am in Ridgefield Park, NJ. CLICK HERE FOR DIRECTIONS). The corps will be working on the 2nd half of our 2007 production of "Around the Town," inspired by the music of Leonard Bernstein, and therefore is the perfect weekend for anyone interested to jump in and get up to speed.

The Bushwackers are the six time DCA world champions, a top 3 finalist each of the last 2 seasons, and the defending brass and colorguard champions. The corps is still accepting members in all sections. If you have the desire, YOU can be a Bushwacker. Just come out to a rehearsal, go to www.bushwackers.org, or email us at membership@bushwackers.org for more details on how to have the best summer of your life!

Edited by DMCK

All I have to say is that I enjoyed reading this snippit from Chris. This show sounds pretty exciting to me and if I had the time i'd be ready to jump on in. B)

Keep the weekend updates coming! We alums are reading and cheering on the 2007 Bushwackers!!

:)

It's because of the alumni and the vets still in the line that we have a Bushwackers to talk about. The least I can do is give you a good update on what's going on, and share a beverage or two with you at a show this summer.

That goes for all alumni, family, and friends of the corps. Come see us at shows, and look for us afterwards. Are we a serious group? Yes. Are we REALLY easy to talk to, whether you marched before, never marched, love us, hate us, etc? Absolutely.

I wanna see this drum line :) sounds good!

I'm sure they'll be happy to oblige. :)

Nah, you don't want to SEE this drum line - you really want to HEAR them!!

:blink:

What Bob means is that you want to hear them first, because they're much better than they have been in recent years. Then you want to see them after that because they look cool being bad###.

The Bush drumline is back, baby!

Oh, the hornline's awesome too, AGAIN.

Oh, the guard is SICK too...AGAIN.

from what I hear, the drill is really awesome, the show is REALLY well put together, it makes SENSE, and it's PERFORMABLE.

That just makes an awesome Bushwacker show.

Go...march Bush. You know you want to! B)

Sounds like a really entertaining show. I hope I get to see it at least once this Summer!

I look forward to seeing a New York-themed show this summer from the Bushwackers.

You can't go wrong with music from Bernstein. It sure worked for The Cadets!

...and many other drum corps! Bernstein translates well to the field.

We'll be doing some stuff that you'll recognize, some stuff you may not...and there will be some snippets of music mixed in that you may hear and say "Was that ___ from ___?"

The music is arranged in a very unique fashion.