Drumline Colors

I have to agree completely. I just started playing again last year (after nearly 20 years off) and wanted a quality set but didn't want to pay the $$ for a professional model. I knew this would be no more than a hobby at my age. I looked at Pacific, Pearl, Mapex, Ludwig, Tama, Pacific, Slingerland, and even at the newest Rogers Drums (Rogers in name only - nothing like my old Big R set). Nothing compared to the Tama Superstars for the price. With the $$ I saved I was able to afford a full compliment of Avedis Zildjian cymbals. I was also able to get an additional bass drum, and three extra toms online (new) for a decent price. Tama rules! Here's a pic of my babies.

MyBabies.jpg

I would love to see what they could offer in a marching line. Imagine a "StarClassic" Maple or Bubinga Marching series! :thumbup::smile::smile:

All I can say is I woulda went with this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Map...-Tom?sku=449726

Nice Finish, Great Reviews, Much Cheaper than the Tamas. Mapex and Sonor are made in the same Factory.

But your set is cool. Not downplaying it at all.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll stop you right there - WHAT? You must be Nucking Futs! I agree Mapex makes a good product but no way near the quality of DW. Tama makes some of the highest quality kits around. The Starclassic series is about as good as it gets. Mapex doesn't make anything in that league.

I said I like the Mapex kits almost as much as my Tama's - and my Tama's are not top of the line starclassics - they are superstars. They sound great and are made really well. I believe Tama's craftmanship is a cut above Mapex.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Map...p-22?sku=446913

These are in DW league.

Mapex Hardware is made by the same people who Make Sonor, and that stuff is legendary.

You said you had stopped playing for 20 years? 20 years ago Mapex was a brand new baby boy. I think the new stuff needs to be looked at again. Lot sof Changes. Tama is still living off their 80's legend. The Iron Cobras are what they bought from Camco and re tooled a little. And as far as Offering Bubigna and that other stuff....... Mapex does that too, but better. Chocolate Burl, Cocobolo, bubigna, check out the Orion series, not available at most regular stores. You have to get these through a retailer. But they Rock.

I am in no way flaming, just telling you, from one drummer to another, Mapex is the future.

I dont know much about the marching line yet, but time will tell us that.

Cadets 2006 are really nice drums. BACs drums in 2007 are the same drums that phantom used in 2006 and BAC will be using the same drums for their 2008 season.

I thought the Cadets drums were really nice last year! They really complimented the uniform colors. BAC had arguably the prettiest drums last year.

My Fav of the Yamaha Drums were the Crossmen in 05, I think. That nice Red Sparkle with the Chrome hardware was nice.

My Fav of the Yamaha Drums were the Crossmen in 05, I think. That nice Red Sparkle with the Chrome hardware was nice.

They were very nice. Yamaha really should make chrome standard on their marching line. It looks so much better.

They were very nice. Yamaha really should make chrome standard on their marching line. It looks so much better.

I said the exact same thing last night. The tenors are all chrome, the bass hardware is all chrome, then you have the grey painted, flaking snares. It is a price issue though.

I think Pearl has it right in offering chrome, or polished aluminum.

We just got our new Yamaha 13" snare drums and tenors (6,6,10,12,13,14) for the Raptors drum line. Red Satin stain, all chrome :)

I said the exact same thing last night. The tenors are all chrome, the bass hardware is all chrome, then you have the grey painted, flaking snares. It is a price issue though.

We just got our new Yamaha 13" snare drums and tenors (6,6,10,12,13,14) for the Raptors drum line. Red Satin stain, all chrome :)

If Yamaha would just incorporate the chrome into the manufacturing process it wouldn't cost them all that much more to make the drums. It certainly would look better!

Pearl offers chrome hardware?