Classic Topic 1

I love classic topics, so here is a classic guard topic: Injuries!

Ones you've had, ones you've seen, so on and so forth.

Here are mine:

Fractured 4th metatarsal in the left foot. (season ender)

Right sprained foot.

Broken right middle toe.

Jammed my left thumb seven, SEVEN times....two of which were really gnarly.

Bone bruise on right hand, I could barely close it enough to spin a rifle. (Advice, make sure you have fast hands when learning to catch blade quads or that extra half rotation when you are late WILL wack you on the hand with the hilt)

Tore through my lip when I was late to catching a horizontal on a very heavy 39" rifle. I should have just put a ring in and saved myself money.

Those are the fun ones, that doesn't include the typical bruising from repetition of work, torn up feet from drill weekends, various crushed nails and bloody cuts.

-----The craziest thing I've seen was my senior year when a girl at state championships had to go to the hospital for blood loss from bashing her nose in with a rifle. She broke it in warm up..poor girl didn't even get to perform.

It wasn't that bad, there were only three bloodsoaked towels that were red, instead of the original white.

Still the craziest thing I've ever seen:

In 2006 at SCGC Championships, a girl from Kennesaw Mountain got hit with a sabre right above her eye. They did this crazy risky sabre exchange and she got hit and went down like a ton of bricks. After about 20 seconds, she got up off the floor, picked up her sabre and kept spinning. She went all the way through her show with blood pouring down her face. She was cracking sixes, moving like a dream, and performing like crazy. By the time the show was over, she looked like Carrie at the Prom. Here's a picture:

http://scgconline.org/photos/scholastic%20world/DSC_0011.JPG

Now that's dedication.

I've just had the typical strained ligaments, sprained things, jammed fingers. I managed to jam my fourth finger on my right hand 6 times this past season.

I'd probably say that my worst was a couple seasons ago when the knob of the flag pole hit me right in the eye, and my eye actually bled. It's still sore to look up.

My junior year of high school, we were learning flat tosses on rifle and I cracked myself right on the side of the head - a really nasty bruise/bump.

On sabre, I busted my lip open trying to catch a blade 5.

My senior year we had a girl whose bolt came out of her pole and flew into the clarinet section DURING THE SHOW. That was SO fun.

Winter guard - dropped my sabre quad on the top of my foot - kept going, but darn it still hurts 3 years later.

In 1998, I saw the Crossmen and in the opener a girl got clobbered in the face with her rifle and she bled the whole show, passing out at the end.

ALSO in 1998, Christian County High School (KY) spun bare poles (weighted) and at a regular season show, they tossed and one girl caught the pole with her teeth - busting her front teeth out and bleeding all over the place. She wasn't aware and kept going until one of the parents came out and dragged her off the field.

Edited by Will

Hummm. I haven't really seen too many bad injuries.

I think the worst thing that happened this past season was during our rifle triple into a flourish. One of our girls did it too close to her body and clonked herself on the jaw. And it was in warm-up, right before we performed.

The only really bad thing that's happened to me (although, it's nothing compared to what some of you have talked about) was when I was first learning to spin sabre and I was trying (and failing miserably) to toss triple blades on chrome. I 'caught' it between my fingers and the force of it was enough to pull some of the skin off.

Other than that, just bumps and bruises. I think I've really been rather fortunate.

last year when i was auditioning for an IW group, we did a mini show and i was a rifle and we were paired wiht flags....the flag person i got pair with cut his plane and clonked me in the head really friggin hard. I had a knot the size of a baseball but still got up off the ground to toss a six walk around a chair sit down and catch it strong!.

at premier two years ago, i had a big rifle solo, i was so excited i caught my six in the beginning so strong that i decided in the heat of the moment to try a leap i had never attempted before, i land on my ankle and fractured some bones in my foot.

• 3 weeks later...

during a run thru of our show, 3 days before WGIs this past year, not even 45 secounds into the show, i was jazz running totally stepped in the hilt of a sabre on the ground somehow, fell, and flew down the tarp, it was halarious at the time, before it started to swell like a balloon and before every one found out i broke 3 toes and some bones in the middle of my foot. right before WGIs. was on crutches every minute those 3 days before our WGI performance in dayton. performed, then went to the doctors, and got a cast :) it sucked but at least i got to perform... just not to my best ability :(

Rifle five to the face, haha.

The results were a shattered nose, and multiple orbital and cheekbone fractures.

Here's a cute little [graphic] collage of my stay at the hospital.

5zcv1o3.jpg

I Had to get reconstructive surgery to put everything back together - It wasn't too bad really, the worst part was just having to sit out for the rest of marching season.

Not being able to spin or perform is the worst part of having an injury, but thanks to the support of my family (the guard members and staff), there was always a way to participate throughout the season.

As my friend Kat says,

"Injury stories can be entertaining long after they happen."

:]

Edited by tomnotcool

Uhhhh......what's the word...........wow? Yeah that's it, WOW.

Yep, that's what my mom said, along with other spanish profanities. :rock: