The REAL Walnut Review

Great job as always Mr. Turner (said with Captain Barbosa inflection).

Thanks Nick--do you happen to know if Geoffrey Rush reads this forum??? LOL!!!

Ryan

First off, thanks for the review. Second, I posted on your non-review thread about the timing. I was at all 3 shows and it was awkward at all 3. Very uncomfortable rustling in the crowd as they waited for "something" to happen.

Finally, about Academy. The "crisco" was a mystery but there were all sorts of drops by the guard on top of the nasty spill taken right near the end of the closer (during the cool, running effect) All in all, I don't get the scores and was wondering if you could shed some light. I did think they sounded better on Saturday night musically, but they were waaaay dirtier on drill. My scores would have been 70.15 on Friday, 68.9 on Saturday, and 72 on Sunday. Really a great show in front of the home crowd.

Also, wanted to mention a weird phenomenon about The Academy. As a first year (3rd year Div 1 overall) dad, I've never experienced anything like the "love" I get from the crowd about Academy. I know I felt a similar pull for them when I first saw them in Riverside in 2005. We had just sat through Jester (no offense meant, but it was a painful show...scored about a 29 if I remember correctly) and other Div 2-3 corps. My mother and sister turned to me and said, "Is this what you meant when you talked about the excitement of drum corps". I was speechless and was feeling a little embarassed I dragged them up for the show when the Academy stepped on the field. They hit their first note and the crowd erupted. THIS was what drum corps was all about. From that moment on, it felt like the show really began!. Do you think the placement in those shows and their almost unexpected strength is what has lead to this core-type following....or is it something else. I'd like your opinion.

In an effort for full disclosure, I was EsperanzaDad prior to Acad Dad and I really liked our experience there (as did my son), but what he has to say about Academy....staff, kids, commitment, backing of the boosters etc is incredible. I welcome your comments and hope like hell to see them on Saturday night in Pasadena....but I'll be just as happy with a Friday appearance....as will the kids.

-----------------------------------------

My views may be strongly biased towards the corps that my son and his girlfriend march in (Academy and SCV)

Acad Dad

I think the phenomenon that you are experiencing is called a relatively educated crowd of people that have spent their hard-earned money recognizing and reacting to talent, pizazz, and performance! That's all there is to it. It's really not difficult. There is something about the confidence level of The Academy as they take the field. True, some of the appeal could be their size, but truly that would only be a small part. There simply is no denying a group of people that perform together and "click" as much as The Academy.

While people that are more learned that myself could argue with me about their sound, or musical arrangements, or marching technique, or the strength or lack of strength of the guard, or the visual program, those intracacies involved in those arguments generally speaking don't mean a hill of beans towards your Joe Blow audience member. That pull is there because good is good--and people like good.

Another thing that I think we have forgotten about in the activity at times is the worth of well-placed and loud ### music. Don't know why--if there's some psychological study out there about the human reaction to loud music--but there's nothing greater than just getting smacked around by some loud great music. The Academy has that ability to RIGHT OFF THE BAT get your attention, and you can't look away. And it's truly because of their music.

I think you meant to say "cult-like following" above--and yes, people are tickled that there's actually a NEW Division I corps when you see so many corps closing up shop. And people are attracted to greatness. Of course, get ready for the detractors that will take pot shots at your corps just like they did at Pacific Crest. And if those talented kids of The Academy and the staff can stand apart and above THAT kind of crap, you'll be doing great.

Congrats on a great show...you must be one proud pop.

I certainly am. I know my son respects your opinions and he rushed over to my computer yesterday morning when I told him "Ryan" had posted a review about the show.

I think that is what I was trying to say and didn't get a chance to. Take away all the concepts and artsy type stuff....people seem to like The Academy's show. Whether or not that gets the scores....eh! We'll all deal with that. But the feeling of having people come up to me because I"m wearing an Academy shirt and they are wearing SCV stuff and say, "I love Academy" is really kinda cool.....and I'm just a dad.

The staff is sooooo above "that kind of crap" I have absolutely no worries about it...and the kids are REALLY just thrilled to be competing on this level. I just can't wait for the first head to head stuff in San Antonio. I'm sure their lack of exposure will hurt them in the judging, but I know the crowd will really like (love?) the show. Thank you again for your kind words of support for them. I know you have been a good supporter of Esperanza in the past (when few were) and your support of The Academy is appreciated

As BD took their time figuring out their amp problems, the audience was totally silent...for over a minute. I really wanted to yell "I HATE AMPS!" but I bit my tongue and didn't want to embarrass the corps that was being represented on my jacket.

Thanks Nick--do you happen to know if Geoffrey Rush reads this forum??? LOL!!!

I think he marched Royal Airs in '67 :P .

BTW, you are exactly correct on the appeal of the Academy. They're new, fresh and exciting, and incredibly talented to boot. We should call this the Star effect. Let's hope it continues.