Need your opinion!

DanoZ

Hi,

I'm Thai guy.So,if my my english look weird,please forgive me.

I have to set up brass instuments' size for a new drum corps here.

So,I want to know how many trumpets,mello,bari and tuba should be in 64 members drum corps.

How many in Blue Devils or Cavaliers?

and what do you think about this combination?

24 Yamaha Xeno Trumpets

12 Dynasty Mellophones

16 Dynasty Euphoniums

12 Yamaha 202MS Tuba

If you can design your own line with great amount of budget,how do you arrange your line?

Thank you

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick question, do you want a deep, dark, sound, or a bright sound? I'm not sure how it is combining Dynasty and Yamaha instruments in a hornline, but I do know that 12 tubas and mellos is a usual standard. The number of trumpets and baritones usually depends on the sound that the corps wants. sometimes they may even take 2 more tubas and take out 2 spots in other sections.

Edited by rai-mello

Only with sound factor ...

Which brand will you choose if you want "bright" sound?

Which brand will you choose if you want "dark" sound?

I combine both Yamaha and Dynasty because I love dark sound of the Devils' mello and baritone line(may be euphonium).

I choose Xeno baecause I can't deny it's quality!!

Yamaha tuba because 5/4 dynasty may be too heavy for Thai students.

That's how come this combination.

What do you think?

Thank you

This has been discussed before in this forum. The rule of thumb that seemed to make sense was that # of sop == # of baritones and # of mellos == # of contras. So for 64 that'd probably be something like:

18 Sops

14 Mellos

18 Baris

14 Contras

Although Contras are costly, so maybe this instead.

20 Sops

14 Mellos

20 Baris

10 Contras

Not that it's cut in stone, since you need players to play them, and horns to be played. And the insturmentation may vary depending on the type of music the group is performing. And the talent level of players. Back when I marched, we seemed to have more sops than any other section. I suppose some of it was the talent level / endurance. But the bigger factor was probably the costs of the instruments themselves.

HTH

What kind of music will you be playing? BD used to carry more trumpets/Sopranos for a bright sound that was appropriate for jazz. Other corps add more low brass for a dark, more classical sound.

64 is a great number. Use as many tubas as possible.

Hi,

I'm Thai guy.So,if my my english look weird,please forgive me.

I have to set up brass instuments' size for a new drum corps here.

So,I want to know how many trumpets,mello,bari and tuba should be in 64 members drum corps.

How many in Blue Devils or Cavaliers?

and what do you think about this combination?

24 Yamaha Xeno Trumpets

12 Dynasty Mellophones

16 Dynasty Euphoniums

12 Yamaha 202MS Tuba

If you can design your own line with great amount of budget,how do you arrange your line?

Thank you

in THailand, you might have access to only Yamaha and Dynasty. but you should try to get the Kanstul euphoniums which are pretty good. they have a dark rich sound. The Dynasty stuff is inexpensive but not built to last. the Yamaha trumpets are pretty good. the Yamaha tubas are very good.

you should also consider the Kanstul mellophone. they have the best intonation of any mello on the market.

Phantom Regiment 2005 used:

24 trumpets

12 mellos

20 euphs

14 contras

I think 2006 was:

20 trumpets

16 mellos

20 euphs

14 contras

hope this helps

20 Trumpets

12 Mellos

20 Euphs

12 Contras

You've gotten some pretty good suggestions so far. Going with one brand of horns (no matter what kind of sound you're trying to create) will be the most beneficial for purposes of intonation and blend. I'm not saying it's necessary. It'll just make it easier to achieve a more centered and uniform sound, which is what you want regardless of the style of music.

I find the Kanstul mellophones to be rather stuffy and resistant to air. That's not to say that they're bad horns. One just has to work a little harder to get the desired dynamics. You want to make it as easy as possible for your players to move air through the horn. IMO, King has the best marching horns on the market right now. Yes, the center is a bit farther out than it is on most other horns, but there's a lot of depth to the dark, rich, and open sound those horns can produce. They were definitely designed with forward projection in mind. And it looks pretty ###### when you have 20 kids that can hold the King euph. That thing is a beast. I'd say go with King if you can get them, but if not... Yamaha has a solid product too; however, you might want to consider using all baritones if you go strictly Yamaha. The euphonium's intonation is all over the place. That's the main reason for the Cadets' switch from baris/euphs in '05 to all baris in '06. Get all of the same horns though. Uniformity of sound is much easier to attain if everyone is playing the same brand of horn. You might want to consider doing the same for mouthpieces too.

Spirit and Bluecoats Mellos use Hammond Design mpcs

Spirit Baris/Euphs use Loud Mouthpieces mpcs

Check it out and good luck.