Question about marching mallet percussion.

I know that around 1980, grounded percussion was made legal under DCI rules and soon after that, every drum corps had a pit; but I've noticed that some corps with fully functioning and very talented pits still used marching keyboards (citing 1984 Cadets and 1991 Star of Indiana). So, why did these corps (and corps like them) continue to use marching mallets AFTER pits were made legal?

I know that around 1980, grounded percussion was made legal under DCI rules and soon after that, every drum corps had a pit; but I've noticed that some corps with fully functioning and very talented pits still used marching keyboards (citing 1984 Cadets and 1991 Star of Indiana). So, why did these corps (and corps like them) continue to use marching mallets AFTER pits were made legal?

In Star's case it was a marching Vibe used for color in a particular part of the show ... Can't say about the Cadets.

In Star's case it was a marching Vibe used for color in a particular part of the show ... Can't say about the Cadets.

Well, I did kind of understand Star's use for the marching vibes (though I don't know why they couldn't just keep him on the sidelines with the keyboard on his shoulders). The Cadets one I don't understand because there were three of them. One of them, though, had a rockin' feature which could have been played on the sidelines.

Well, I did kind of understand Star's use for the marching vibes (though I don't know why they couldn't just keep him on the sidelines with the keyboard on his shoulders). The Cadets one I don't understand because there were three of them. One of them, though, had a rockin' feature which could have been played on the sidelines.

Star used bells for the Pines of the Janiculum portion of the Pines of Rome, which has a very tinkly-glockenspiel sound to it. I magine they put the bells on the field for the difficulty; the drill at that point is very diaphanous and widespread, so having the bell sound come from on the field is pretty dreamlike and cool.

Garfield did the same thing; in the 'Prologue' portion of the West Side Story show they had the three marching xylos playing that cool xylophone statement in fugue with each other (and one of them had a ride cymbal attached) just for the coolness of it. (This was the beginning of Garfield's "LOOK, we're making ART" phase, which ended...not yet.) Plus this was back in the days before everybody had three full-sized xylos in the pit.

Star used bells for the Pines of the Janiculum portion of the Pines of Rome, which has a very tinkly-glockenspiel sound to it. I magine they put the bells on the field for the difficulty; the drill at that point is very diaphanous and widespread, so having the bell sound come from on the field is pretty dreamlike and cool.

Garfield did the same thing; in the 'Prologue' portion of the West Side Story show they had the three marching xylos playing that cool xylophone statement in fugue with each other (and one of them had a ride cymbal attached) just for the coolness of it. (This was the beginning of Garfield's "LOOK, we're making ART" phase, which ended...not yet.) Plus this was back in the days before everybody had three full-sized xylos in the pit.

I guess that's one of the things that made Star such a great corps.

I did notice the ride cymbal on one of the xylos, and it made a very cool effect. All in all, the 1984 Cadets are my favorite corps of all time (barely beating 1989 Santa Clara and 1975 Madison) but I just never understood why the had to send those guys out there when they could do the same thing with a concert xylophone on the sidelines.

They also used marching vibes in 'Balshazzar's Feast' ...