Little kid soloist, 1980 Cadets?

I was just watching my 1980 DCI finals video for some history re-visiting and found myself caught back up into something that really interested me when I started getting interested in drum corps. That little kid who faked a soprano solo in the middle of Garfield Cadets 1980 show.

I was always curious... how old was that kid that year and did he continue marching after that year? What was his story? At the time, that kid was inspiring for me as I was just a young buck myself who was just starting to get interested in corps. Anyone know much about that one?

We always got a kick out of watching him that year.

[/quote

Here you go.

garfield1980.jpg

78garfield.JPG

Edited by DPEmerald

He's the brother of an old drum corps friend of mine.

Really? So did he continue marching after his glory year of air soloing or was 1980 his only year? LOL! Was he like 10? Judging from the picture...

I believe the picture of him kneeling above is 1978 in Allentown.

Paging JoeS.

That's my brother Jarrod. Believe it or not, that was his third year with Garfield when he did the mock solo(wth Al Chez playing behind the drumline).His first year was 1978 and he was 12 years old. When he did the mock solo he was 14.Looking at the photo of 1980 he looks really young ,but yea his was 14.

The second photo (the kneeling) was from 1978.

He marched 1978-1983 .He was in the corps. in Miami when they won.He left after that year and still had another 4 years to go.

He marched 1978-1983 .He was in the corps. in Miami when they won.He left after that year and still had another 4 years to go.

Did he ever regret not marching those last four years?