The Birth of a New Drum & Bugle Corps

Good question!! As far as I know, there is not a junior division in DCA. It's a matter of thinking about the Cavalcade of Bands Director's. This corps will support the band Director's. Students will be more prepared to challenge the Marching Band season, then ever before. The Cavalcade of Bands is a GREAT high school marching band circuit now, and will continue to thrive. I can not take their students away to go on tour. Most of our bands have a strong summer schedule and the students need to be home during the week. Also, we should have more shows to compete in DCA. I hope everyone supports this orgainization, because we need to support this GREAT ACTIVITY, WE CALL DRUM & BUGLE CORPS. Any questions, see me in Long Island this weekend. GREAT luck to all that are competing!

Thank you Mr. Cornwell for explaning this to me. I think this is a great idea, to start this drum corps. I think it's great that you have the senior circuit to go and compete in. I read your vision statement, and I can't agree more with that. Good luck with this new drum corps. I will be following their progress.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duke, please don't take this the wrong way, but:

If no one in the corps is going to be over the age of 21, shouldn't a corps like this compete in DCI (Div. 2 or 3, perhaps) instead of DCA?

I've always thought DCA was all about all-age participation, meaning there should be a mix of over-and-under 21's. And to be perfectly honest, I think it should stay that way. It's one of the things that makes DCA unique, and different than DCI.

Fran

Duke, please don't take this the wrong way, but:

If no one in the corps is going to be over the age of 21, shouldn't a corps like this compete in DCI (Div. 2 or 3, perhaps) instead of DCA?

I've always thought DCA was all about all-age participation, meaning there should be a mix of over-and-under 21's.  And to be perfectly honest, I think it should stay that way. It's one of the things that makes DCA unique, and different than DCI.

Fran

Fran, no offence taking here at all and I appreciate your comments and advice. It wasn’t easy making this decision, but we had to keep the students available for their summer band programs. Also, I see many DCI corps that were active last year and in-active this year. It seems that the number of division II/III corps are dwindling each year. I don’t know why, inadequate management, not enough shows to compete in, lack of support from DCI, or the money it takes to go on tour?

It also seems to me that the all-age corps are getting younger every year. I think that this is a reality that we also had to look at before we made our decision.

DCA = less cost, less travel, more competitions, students available for their summer band programs.

If you read our vision statement, you will see that this corps is forming to support the marching band programs of the Cavalcade of Bands.

If you are on the island this weekend, maybe we can discuss this further.

Once again Fran, I appreciate your advice.

Those are my favorite things about this project...

1.) Serves to further both the drum corps AND marching band activity.

2.) Enriches the students, rather than the management.

3.) Every decision so far has been made for good reasons.

Bottom line, a new drum corps is a very good thing, no matter which circuit the corps plans to compete in...... beats the heck out seeing another drum corps disband or go inactive for a year.

I wish you the best of luck in your efforts to get Cavalcade off the ground, Duke!

Fran

I love seeing a new corps forming, especially if it's around the Harrsiburg, Lancaster, Lebanon area. My question is why just limit it to Cavalcade Students only when competing in DCA. There is only one local corps in Reading, you might get a bigger turnout and invite staffs to march also. What better training tool. Students and Teaching marching together. I am bringing my indoor perc unit into the Cavalcade circuit and I would love the chance to march with a local corps. I was hoping to march this year but most corps are out of the area by a good distance.

Bottom line, a new drum corps is a very good thing, no matter which circuit the corps plans to compete in...... beats the heck out seeing another drum corps disband or go inactive for a year.

I wish you the best of luck in your efforts to get Cavalcade off the ground, Duke!

Fran

Thanks Fran…Your support is greatly appreciated.

Greg,

Good to see you're out here lurking around the internet. You need to be marching, man.