Pride of the Lions 73.100

Allegiance Elite 72.350

Dutch Boy 71.200

Les Stentors 68.050

St. John's 61.700

Spirit of New Jersey 59.100

7th Regiment 58.950

H.Y.P.E. 51.200

Great Show in Kitchener last night.....It was nice to connect with so many ontario drum corps members that I have taught in the past and staffs which I had worked with. Being a visual guy, I sat at about the 45, next to the box where the judges where. (nice and high!)

Not going to do a huge review, but some comments on a few corps....

HYPE: great to see them back on the field! Lets hope drum corps in Ontario is on the rise. Members here are young and inexperienced (and it shows in their performance level) however their effort is noteworthy. Keep these kids around for a couple years and good things could happen

ST. JOHNS: having seen this show at a dress run before they left before tour, I was impressed at how much things had 'cleaned' up. I thought it took the members until about 1/3 of the way into the show to get really into it and the last half of the show was performed very strong. Visual performance levels are increasing and although I havnt seen the recap yet, this score should be up close to Dutch, Les Stentors, Regina and Allegiance. Musically, they are challenging the performers with a difficult book, and are pulling it off. I think GE music seems to be a challenge for the corps right now, as the 10 brass players try hard to project the show up to the box, and create those 'moments' which are neccesary for the effect caption. GE visual scores will also increase once a couple remaining holes are closed and the some visual phrases are redifined for the performers. Their score of 61 I thought was low. Their program is far more challenging than that of Spirit and 7th and I feel a more consistent performance level was present throughout the show. St.John's thanks for making me a proud alumni member and staff.

LES STENTORS: Great Show....use of sheilds by the brass and guard, during percussion feature creates a nice effect up at the box. Brass struggled to project their sound, but did have some full moments.

DUTCH: Much improved since I had seen them last (early July). Bari's start off with a strong opening and lead the corps to their first impact...which left me a little dissapointed. With such a large hornline (20-25) I expected a more full sound, maybe it was a bit of an off night?!?! The large colour guard (20) performed a challenging book well, and had even changed some of the problem transition spots since the last time I saw them. I think Dutch's guard was one of the few tonight who actually "performed"....nice work. Musically, the corps is being challenged and most of the time is reaching a good level of acheicement. An interesting aspect of their show is their drum speak section, which works somewhat for them....They have recently added an amp to their pit for one of the performers to do a "drum speak solo" which unfortunately did not project up to the box. The volume a little louder will likely do the trick. Visually, they have some cleaning to do....Visual performance is fine, the forms however, were not always readable from the box where I was and side to side and front to back spacing on the field is inconsistent throughout the show......The good news however....These elements of the show are easy to fix and they have a whole week to do it! Writer Jason Logue is touring with them, which is great news....Jason as a nack for turning good shows into great ones.

PRIDE OF THE LIONS: Great to see another Canadian drum corps out touring! And what a strong first DCI tour! They won the show. The one element that Pride has working for them, is the level of excellence they are acheiving....they are clean! I just hope they don't peak too early. Great, clean visual program....forms were very readable from the top of the box, not too challenging of a program though. I think both Dutch and Allegiance will pass this corps in the coming week. Fans enjoyed one of their pieces that sounded like Danny Boy, not sure what it was, but the crowd loved it.

ALLEGIANCE ELITE: Great program from this corps...All elements are there, just some refining and cleanning needed. Their Pandora's Box show features a strong colour guard who uses a varity of weapons and flags....and props (actual framed boxes). This corps will find itself moving past prelims at DCI...im just not sure how far they will make it.

ECJ: Wow, Ed Devlin and the design team have done it once again and created a show that is challenging, emotional, entertaining and just plain excellent. The corps opens their show with a jazzy rendition of amazing grace. The Brassline, play a show that has alot of notes in it....and have the volume, tone and projection you would expect from a much larger hornline. For me the highlight was the faced paced closer....I talked to Ed the day before and he had re-written the last few sets of drill and the corps had just learned them.....the members are marching through eachother, around eachother....its fast, furious and dangerous! ( a small collision occurred tonight, but once they review the new sets, that will get cleaned up) Great show by ECJ.....They will be in the race for the title next week, thats for sure!

COLT CADETS: These kids put on a heck of a show.....I was very impressed....they really connected with the audience.

KAVIES: The lone Divison 1 corps benefitted by going on after Colt Cadets rather than ECJ. Reviews have said it....they are small....But they are pulling it off and have some nice moments. Visually, they are clean...holes have been closed and forms are very readable. Musically, I wish they had more sound. I hope they can retain the members they have this year and then add more. Member rention will be the key to their future success.

Great Show in Kitchener last night....

Thanks for the informative and interesting review. I'm hoping to see some of these corps for the first time this weekend in Manchester, NH, and it is always nice to have a heads up. Sounds like I'm in for a great show.

I am just a member of the old guard