MCA as a viable (and valuable) circuit

In the community, DCI and DCA are given top billing during the summer and through Labor Day with DCI in the forefront in July and August and DCA being the top draw from Mid-August through Labor Day.

Now that MCA has an established framework for administration and corps membership and shown an extreme willingness to participate cooperatively with DCA (and DCA in return has done the same with a separate Mini-Corps World Championship), it is high time that MCA be recognized in the community as a viable and valuable circuit.

If nothing else, MCA extends the drum corps season to September 27th, which is cool! The more drum corps, the better!

It's a little quirky in that the Super Bowl of Mini-Corps (DCA) is held before the MCA Championships, but the Daytona 500 is held well before they give out the Winston Cup (or whatever it's called) and it works on that side of the street.

MCA is an opportunity for MORE musicians, MORE groups, MORE variety and MORE entertainment. They don't steal members from the field corps, they don't schedule rehearsals in conflict with the field corps, they DO allow those with limited schedules to participate in drum corps and, if you were at DCA you'd recognize that a member of Star United, Thunderbirds, Mass Brass, Eagles or Ghost Riders (et al) was treated as an equal within the dca community and conversation.

Let's build on this idea AS A COMMUNITY. If you haven't seen the best of the mini-corps, you are missing the boat. Schedule your '09 weekend to include Mini-Corps at DCA or go to the MCA Championships on September 27th.

MCA should be a household word. It is dam* good drum corps.

Wow......thanks for the hype Joey. If there's one thing that the fans can be sure of.....it is an ever changing activity. Many corps had re-invented themselves this year and raised the bar on creativity. Hey, we actually LIKE each other, but each has its own flavor....sorta like HoJo's........can't wait 'til next year? Get to the MCA Championship show.....you'll like what you see........then multiply that by 3.........

Joe

In the community, DCI and DCA are given top billing during the summer and through Labor Day with DCI in the forefront in July and August and DCA being the top draw from Mid-August through Labor Day.

Now that MCA has an established framework for administration and corps membership and shown an extreme willingness to participate cooperatively with DCA (and DCA in return has done the same with a separate Mini-Corps World Championship), it is high time that MCA be recognized in the community as a viable and valuable circuit.

If nothing else, MCA extends the drum corps season to September 27th, which is cool! The more drum corps, the better!

It's a little quirky in that the Super Bowl of Mini-Corps (DCA) is held before the MCA Championships, but the Daytona 500 is held well before they give out the Winston Cup (or whatever it's called) and it works on that side of the street.

MCA is an opportunity for MORE musicians, MORE groups, MORE variety and MORE entertainment. They don't steal members from the field corps, they don't schedule rehearsals in conflict with the field corps, they DO allow those with limited schedules to participate in drum corps and, if you were at DCA you'd recognize that a member of Star United, Thunderbirds, Mass Brass, Eagles or Ghost Riders (et al) was treated as an equal within the dca community and conversation.

Let's build on this idea AS A COMMUNITY. If you haven't seen the best of the mini-corps, you are missing the boat. Schedule your '09 weekend to include Mini-Corps at DCA or go to the MCA Championships on September 27th.

Things seem to be moving along Quite well actually, We have corps, we have judges...might as well have a show!

Donny

Donny,

the show ia actually progressing beyond my quite high expectations!

The Mini-Corps contest is just fabulous!

Our own Alumni Parade Corps will exhibit.. and now we've added The Latin Express!

The Historic return to the stage of the Interstatesmen, for one more bow....., with our I-Men Tribute Ensemble!!!!

The I&E portion of the show is building some awesome momentum, and looks to be a don't-miss event of it's own.

AND ... The After Party! (nuff said!)

Thanks Joey, for the great comments!

Edited by brassomaniac

We need to get Joey Cavallaro more involved with our functioning circuit, I think!

GR is putting it back together, but you probably wont see alot of the same faces as in Rochester DCA, unfortunately. Hopefully our bag of tricks is big enough to still put a quality group on stage. Enough of the "right" people may be adequate to save us.

You know how I feel about this date for a "championship"...it is band season.

Donny

That's right Donny. CrossmenXtreme can't do it due to the time of year. Almost every one of our members is out with their respective high school/college bands and staff are either running their bands' programs or judging. That's the choice we made in keeping out membership consistent with our educational goals......teach the children..........

Good luck to all competitors.........great panel

J

We need to get Joey Cavallaro more involved with our functioning circuit, I think!

GR is putting it back together, but you probably wont see alot of the same faces as in Rochester DCA, unfortunately. Hopefully our bag of tricks is big enough to still put a quality group on stage. Enough of the "right" people may be adequate to save us.

You know how I feel about this date for a "championship"...it is band season.

Donny

That's right Donny. CrossmenXtreme can't do it due to the time of year. Almost every one of our members is out with their respective high school/college bands and staff are either running their bands' programs or judging. That's the choice we made in keeping out membership consistent with our educational goals......teach the children..........

Good luck to all competitors.........great panel

J

But as the Jr. member of the BHOF, you'll surely attend the I&E to show your wares along with Kenton, et al ... nes pa?

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

The IDEA is great. The Quality is Great. Longer Season Great.

BUT!

I think there needs to be more than one division. You can say what you want. I Honestly believe that part of the reason there were SO Many that did not attend (take part in the contest) at DCA, and do not attend ( or take part in) other MCA shows is the way things are going Judging wise.

"IF" they are only going to allow the more DCI "Brass Band Wind Ensemble to win or place near the top. That is what you will get. That's fine if that is what you want. No Problem. BUT, I believe that smaller groups. Newer groups, and Alumni groups. Will not be attending as much as you may want. The highly qualified Brass Wind Ensemble (with Trap Drum set) as opposed to Drum Corps will become a problem though.

How to devide it down, I don't know. But the more Old style. OR. The more Drum and Bugle corps types. OR The Alumni types. They also need an area that they can compete in.

This is just my Opinion. I know the 2nd area is the type of show I would go to. More Varity type. Heck, even free the DCA show has lost interest to me. The FUN and VARITY is fading fast.

Edited by OldStyleCorps

I love what MCA is doing. I don't see drum corps surviving on it's current path. Bigger is not always better (as I try to convince my wife :tongue: ) I think an indoor circuit with a standstill division and a couple of classes in movement would be great. Shows in a gym like Japan with no more then 75 members. 2 buses and less equipment.

With regard to season and conflicts with band folks (yeah - I used the 'b' word), how about considering a winter/spring show circuit - marching band is done, outdoor drill rehearsals can't start, we're all tired of the long grey winter - just a thought.

Rich