DCI corps that don't have Wikipedia pages

When I was looking at this Wikipedia page, I noticed that the following DCI World Championship finalist corps don't have their own Wikipedia page. Perhaps some DCP folk can help take care of this. Please post a note if you're interested in working on a certain corps' page and others can offer to join you to help it get created.

27th Lancers

Bridgemen

Suncoast Sound

Sky Ryders

Guardsmen

Muchachos

North Star

Oakland Crusaders

Seneca Optimists

Black Knights

De La Salle Oaklands

Des Plaines Vanguard

Dutch Boy

Purple Lancers

Royal Crusaders

Stockton Commodores

• Like 4

Just a side note as someone who has worked on corps' Wikipedia pages in the past: The hardest part is finding readily-accessible documentation that is not a corps' website - supporting a page with just that is a great way to get it run over by the mods, as Wikipedia has a curious obsession with avoiding direct citation. As an historian, going to the primary source material is the best way to build a credible page, and for a lot of corps, the best historical archives are their own pages. I'm thinking of SCV in particular, which has a particularly good archives section.

When you're writing one of these, it's probably best to only sparingly cite the corps' website. Corpsreps and DCI.org are safer, although not entirely safe bets. Whatever you do, do not just copy-paste anything from a website - that will get the article deleted almost instantly and make it much harder to get even a well-written draft accepted.

On that point, too, the DCI articles that are extant are riddled with so-called "copy-vios", or copyright violations, so if you don't have the time to build a new one from scratch, there's also the option of combing the ones that are out there and taking out/citing what is already written.

• Like 2

Just a side note as someone who has worked on corps' Wikipedia pages in the past: The hardest part is finding readily-accessible documentation that is not a corps' website - supporting a page with just that is a great way to get it run over by the mods, as Wikipedia has a curious obsession with avoiding direct citation. As an historian, going to the primary source material is the best way to build a credible page, and for a lot of corps, the best historical archives are their own pages. I'm thinking of SCV in particular, which has a particularly good archives section.

When you're writing one of these, it's probably best to only sparingly cite the corps' website. Corpsreps and DCI.org are safer, although not entirely safe bets. Whatever you do, do not just copy-paste anything from a website - that will get the article deleted almost instantly and make it much harder to get even a well-written draft accepted.

I think the wikipedia policy is meant to encourage articles to be relevant enough to merit inclusion in an encyclopedia: the argument is that if the only source of information about an organization is a publication by that organization itself, it may not be worth mentioning at all.

I think the wikipedia policy is meant to encourage articles to be relevant enough to merit inclusion in an encyclopedia: the argument is that if the only source of information about an organization is a publication by that organization itself, it may not be worth mentioning at all.

Yep, exactly. Just makes it a little more tricky for drum corps since this is a relatively insular community.

Yeah, the wikipedia notability standards are incredibly tough. Basically, you need to cite external sources that have written about the subject without being prompted. Citing a corps' website or alumni website will, with 99% certainty result in the page never seeing publication.

The process is brutal. I used to work for a PR firm where we would attempt to create articles for our clients, and we charged quite a lot for it, because it's really an undertaking for niche properties.

Please feel free to use these links from the DCI.org Download of the Week features to help establish a third-party verification. I only have links for corps for which we have DCI videos. For example, for Royal Crusaders, you can not only quote that Finleyville was just 0.2 square miles in size, (making it likely the smallest community to host a DCI corps), but you can get verification from the Wikipedia site about Finleyville. You can use CorpsReps to verify the corps' placement in 1975.

Also, please feel free to outright copy anything I wrote to help create the page. That way, you can use what I wrote as a citation, directing the Wikipedia mods to DCI.org, which should help in the process of getting your contribution to stay up. And if someone beats you to it, please add to the page they created.

Three of the following corps have upcoming Download of the Weeks scheduled by the end of June. When a new one comes out, please feel free to add it to the citations.

27th Lancers 1981

27th Lancers 1980

Bridgemen 1983

Bridgemen 1976

Suncoast Sound 1983

Suncoast Sound 1988

Sky Ryders 1987

Guardsmen 1979

North Star 1978

Oakland Crusaders 1976

Seneca Optimists 1977

Dutch Boy 1990

Royal Crusaders 1975

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Any action on this?

(And who hates the idea of corps having their own Wikipedia page, based on the fact that somewhat gave the original post a red negative? Isn't helping publicize our activity and all the corps in it a good thing?)

• Like 1

Any action on this?

(And who hates the idea of corps having their own Wikipedia page, based on the fact that somewhat gave the original post a red negative? Isn't helping publicize our activity and all the corps in it a good thing?)

Unfortunately not here, but this did urge me to create a wiki page for the corps I'm currently working with!

Unfortunately not here, but this did urge me to create a wiki page for the corps I'm currently working with!

That's good news! Thank you and I hope others follow your lead.

• Like 1