Muchachos disqualfication controversy

Was anyone else at the Dream that year ('75)? I remember the Muchachos kicking up a lot of dust in old Roosevelt Stadium. Ah, the Dream . . . beer at a show with junior corps . . . Jersey drinking age was 18 . . . (well, I wasn't quite 18, but nobody checked).

Paul any word? former 6 year olds who missed their favorite corps and didnt understand the DQ thing want to know :)

So that makes you 34 or 35 now?

73-76 Madison was dominating DCI, with a 4th,2 2nds and a 1st.

During '73 - '76, SCV went 1-1-2-3, which is better than Madison's 4-2-1-2.

I'm glad someone else brought that up :) cuz I really wanted to but didn't wanna come across like a jerk

Edited by jojo

73-76 Madison was dominating DCI, with a 4th,2 2nds and a 1st.

During '73 - '76, SCV went 1-1-2-3, which is better than Madison's 4-2-1-2.

I'm glad someone else brought that up :) cuz I really wanted to but didn't wanna come across like a jerk

you jerk!!! just kidding

Youre correct about SCV, but I was making a qualitative judgement not quantitative. 75's all but undefeated season led me to say it.

Paul any word? former 6 year olds who missed their favorite corps and didnt understand the DQ thing want to know :)

So that makes you 34 or 35 now?

i am halfway between 34 and 35 yes. and the Muchachos were the first junior corps i remembered seeing, and wwas in love with them back then

Okay folks, we're getting closer . . .

I have one piece of the puzzle left to fit in, and (if I can get that last piece), we'll have the full, accurate, end-of-story, account of the Muchachos disqualification.

Until then, however, this is what I have learned as of today, through conversations with most of the principal parties involved.

Don Warren, President of the Cavaliers, confirms that they did, in fact, file the protest claiming the Muchachos were marching overage members. They had what they felt was definitive proof on three members. The protest was filed with Don Pesceone and Gail Royer (?), the Executive Director and Chairman of the Board of DCI, respectively, prior to prelims. As per the rules (at least back then, anyway), a corps could not be disqualified for marching an overage member unless that overage member was seen exiting the field of competition. Thus, the Muchachos had to be allowed to march the show, and then the member(s) would have to be identified. All the corps had been warned that winter that DCI WOULD be cracking down on overage members that summer.

Bob Briske, DCI Contest Director at prelims that year, confirmed that he received the formal protest prior to the contest and was prepared to request proof of age from the three members of Muchachos as soon as they exited the field of competition. He did just that, immediately asking the Muchachos Director to bring forward the three members in question (who had just exited the field). As soon as the first gentlemen was proven to be overage (and he was), the other two members were not pursued further, at that time.

Later, DCI did a more thorough check of Muchachos "notarized" birth certificates and found 22 that had been notarized by the same individual, even though many of the members were from different states. By the end of DCI's overall review of Muchachos birth certificates, although they did not pursue formal proof, it was DCI's informal, but firm contention, that probably two dozen Muchachos may have been overage.

Anyway, back to prelims . . . As soon as the first Muchacho member admitted to being overage, and the corps was thus immediately disqualified, Bob Briske went to the tabulators and collected the score sheets. They had added up the tics, per sheet, but had not yet come up with a full sub-total, or in other words a final score. Mr. Briske, not wanting any controversy about whether or not Muchachos may have "won," since he knew they were a contender, simply took the untabulated sheets, put them in an envelope, and handed them to Don Pesceone.

That's as far as I've gotten. I'm trying to get this last piece of the puzzle. Did Don Pesceone ever add up those score sheets? Did anyone else? Do the sheets still exist? Were they immediately destroyed?

Whether or not Don Angelica's story told to me that Muchachos were in third, more than one point behind Madison, is true or not, I can't say. Whether or not the judges ever got together and tried to compare notes/scores to see what Muchachos may have gotten, I can't say that either.

But, I'll continue to try to get a little closer to the end of this. It's drum corps' "JFK Conspiracy" in my mind, and it would be nice to know the facts, even if those facts leave us with an unanswered question - did Muchachos win or not?

P.S. I appreciate these folks being willing to talk on the record. And why wouldn't they? They hadn't done anything wrong. They were doing their jobs, or doing what they believed in. Don Warren had no ill will toward the Muchachos in particular. They were simply the corps they had proof on, and they were a corps that seemed to be blatantly diregarding the rule. The fact that they were a top 3 or 4 corps was truly of no significance to the Cavaliers, who were not realy contenders that year anyway. Don Warren, Bob Briske, Don Pesceone, and Gail Royer were just following the rules and acting accordingly.

P.P.S. These folks are, however, truly dumbfounded that there continues to be such interest in this subject almost 30 years later!

Edited by Paul Milano

Wow Paul. What an incredible story. :fight: I am actually kinda sad that the end of the rumors is near. What will talk about now?! :music:

If you need Mr. Briske's number let me know. I am good friends with his son. (Who marched in the Cavalier color guard in the early 80's)

I keep reading in amazement as you report the facts!!

Thanks anyway, Mitch, but I'm getting this stuff directly from Mr. Briske and Don Warren. A mutual friend, Bob Hoehn, is helping me track down the details. Bob Hoehn was corps manager for the Cavaliers from 63-73, helped start Spirit of Atlanta, etc. We're working on "solving the mystery" together. He called Mr. Briske today for some of the above details.

Now we're working on talking with Don Pesceone. Stay tuned . . .

P.S. I think I'm driving these guys nuts asking 30-year old questions about myths and conspiracies, but so far they've been kind enough to fill in the blanks.

P.P.S. I'll be equally glad when this is all done and put to rest.