some old corps photos

Yes, it's '78 (and it appears to be late in the season, after they'd simplified the snare set-up from early season.

Getting snares level with a sling and a multi angle bar wasn't that difficult - you just used the sling to hook in to two different points on the bar rather than hooking on to itself and then the drum. SCV was the first I remember doing that (in ..74?), and by the mid 70s, everyone else figured it out too.

78 was the peak year for match-grippedness (even Cavaliers went match for that season). It didn't last long, and by the early 80s, i think everyone but 27th had dropped it.

Edited by MarchTrue

Yes, it's '78 (and it appears to be late in the season, after they'd simplified the snare set-up from early season.

Getting snares level with a sling and a multi angle bar wasn't that difficult - you just used the sling to hook in to two different points on the bar rather than hooking on to itself and then the drum. SCV was the first I remember doing that (in ..74?), and by the mid 70s, everyone else figured it out too.

78 was the peak year for match-grippedness (even Cavaliers went match for that season). It didn't last long, and by the early 80s, i think everyone but 27th had dropped it.

Edited by MarchTrue

"Here are a couple of Kilts I think in 78.

78kilts.JPG

Yes its '78. Somebody just sent this to me. I'm about 4 years late to this post.

I marched in this line. Started with experimental "Clusters" and went traditional Snare line/Tenors mid season, rewrote the entire book in a week, held re-tryouts to split into snares and tenors. We held a Mid-season camp where we played about 20 hours/day. It was a nightmare and triumph. Snares had slings under our parade shirts.

We got robbed by DCI in '77 but over corrected in '78.

New Unis, New gender, New book, New Drill style, new experimental drum configuration (FAIL) and went co-ed all in one year.

The entire Kilt family rallied around the battery though, the horns, rifles, guard all had our back, plus 27th and and Santa Clara were rooting for us all tour.

(We dated with both) Of course, the scouts and Cavs were hoping we would die. We didn't win any captions,.. we may have lost them all,... but even Judge Rodney gave us a thumbs up late season for pulling off a full book enema and rebuild on the road.

I highly recommend against it but it left great memories.

Other stuff.

1: I think most of us were thrilled to have women with us on tour. We were pretty "hormonal".

2: Somewhere, somebody should have a 1978 photo of a combined Kiltie/27th Lancer joint kilted Drumline.

"I don't think this can be 78. The snares look too perfectly level for slings. Snare carriers were few and far between in 79 and I don't recall anyone having them in 78. Could this be a later pic?"

No that's definitely 1978. One of the guys in that picture went on to march in Madison the following year ('79), so I'm quite certain.

Besides that, I was in the Guardsmen that year, and we competed with Kilts many times that year. They really made a TON of changes in their battery that year... from mounting bass drums on their sides, to adding tom drums onto their snares, to the uniform changes, to the actual drums themselves. Every weekend it was like: "I wonder what drums the Kilts will be playing this week?"

Edited by MarchTrue

Bluecoats89DCM.jpg

Bluecoats, Canton, OH 1989 DCM Press Pak

This isn't 1989. It's from 1988 and the first solo in Autumn Leaves.

• Like 1

IMG_0003-14.jpg

Glassmen at Frankenmuth 6/11/83

BTW, found these slides in the bottom of one of six or seven boxes of old files that were going to be dumped.

They finally made the light of day after nearly thirty years!

Edited by baja