watch out for the crossmen

I saw them last night in beverly. make no mistake, this a ballsy show with loads of visual effect. right now it's very dirty, but I would be surprised if they aren't back in finals this year, especially with jason bentley teaching. add to that the very dark and atmospheric musical program, the best part of which is probably the drumline features occurring over the hornline's backfield slow evil chorale. that's a brand new effect as far as I know, and it's AWESOME. the difficulty level is such that it might not be getting clean 'til much later in the season, so the scores aren't very reflective of their potential. whatever.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw them last night in beverly. make no mistake, this a ballsy show with loads of visual effect. right now it's very dirty, but I would be surprised if they aren't back in finals this year, especially with jason bentley teaching. add to that the very dark and atmospheric musical program, the best part of which is probably the drumline features occurring over the hornline's backfield slow evil chorale. that's a brand new effect as far as I know, and it's AWESOME. the difficulty level is such that it might not be getting clean 'til much later in the season, so the scores aren't very reflective of their potential. whatever.

Their ballad reminds me of the Bjork song "New World" that The Cadets used for their ballad in 2005. Not exactly the same thing, but the same feel with a groove and lots of drum notes.

Their ballad reminds me of the Bjork song "New World" that The Cadets used for their ballad in 2005. Not exactly the same thing, but the same feel with a groove and lots of drum notes.

I, uh, actually think its nothing like it. Bones does a totally evil and unsettling, panning brass effect aimed backfield while the percussion sections play seemingly unrelated features. This is very different from the cadets 2005 ballad where the percussion and brass parts were painstakingly timed to integrate with each other. New World is uplifting and takes you to super fun chess dimension (watch the show) while whatever the crossmen did just sorta made me think I was about to be called on to atone for my earthly sins.

Well whatever, point is publius is right. Bones has one of the more compelling shows I have seen in a while. Very erie and extremely driven, this show, I'm afraid, may go over the heads of some fans but I will say if you're going to watch for anything, watch for the development of the visual program. Its ovbiously ambitious and I'm happy to see that Marc Sylvester is pushing the bones to pull off a top 6 visual book. If this hornline gets its feet and time and tightens this thing up they might have a chance to get comfortable with the brass demands and really make an exciting presentation. Drumline has energy and wants it but they need to get clean as well. I am very pleased with this show and I think many wil as well. Watch this show and let the crossmen take you to a supernatural world as dark and evil as a Texan desert. This show is so dirty, but they have amazing drill moves for every minute of this show. Clean this, Bones, and you will do well.

Also saw the cadets warm up last night. They're hornline is louder than Niagra falls. I didn't even know horlines could get that loud. I marched cadets '05 and these guys make us seem weak. Listen hard... you can probably hear them playing something right now.

I, uh, actually think its nothing like it. Bones does a totally evil and unsettling, panning brass effect aimed backfield while the percussion sections play seemingly unrelated features. This is very different from the cadets 2005 ballad where the percussion and brass parts were painstakingly timed to integrate with each other. New World is uplifting and takes you to super fun chess dimension (watch the show) while whatever the crossmen did just sorta made me think I was about to be called on to atone for my earthly sins.

Interesting that two people have called that ballad evil. I don't get that feeling whatsoever. But que sera, que sera.

What I meant was that both ballads are pieces with grooves behind them and sort of a "chorale" feel. Obviously they're used in different ways.

Here is a thread that explains the show and music from the creater himself:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...=100089&hl=

Edited by xbones7480

• 2 months later...
Interesting that two people have called that ballad evil. I don't get that feeling whatsoever. But que sera, que sera.

What I meant was that both ballads are pieces with grooves behind them and sort of a "chorale" feel. Obviously they're used in different ways.

i wouldnt necessarily call it "evil", more-so an "in-the distance" feel with the drumline doing a sweet groove. it was definitely a b*tch to play after the 2nd part early in the season. but it was actually based off of a techno song by DJ food or foo? that sounds right. best ballad to play when you're on the 50 when we hit the big arc. :)

Here is a thread that explains the show and music from the creater himself:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...=100089&hl=

Listening to that midi makes me so sad because it reminds me of how much potential that show had... ####. Especially the ballad - one of the best designed ballads (musically) I've seen in drum corps.

Yes, I don't feel like the corps was ever given the credit deserved, especially considering what you were performing.