Wanted: Background on Steve Brubaker

My wife was a couple of years in front of Steve Brubaker at Gettysburg College. She always knew him as a clarinet player in the school's music program, and she was surprised when he turned up as a drill designer with the Cavies.

Her question - and mine - is where was he before he began with the Cavies? We know he started off designing winter guard show for them. We're trying to fill in the void between his college days to when he started working with them.

Edited by Jim Anello

My wife was a couple of years in front of Steve Brubaker at Gettysburg College. She always knew him as a clarinet player in the school's music program, and she was surprised when he turned up as a drill designer with the Cavies.

Her question - and mine - is where was he before he began with the Cavies? We know he started off designing winter guard show for them. We're trying to fill in the void between his college days to when he started working with them.

You piqued my curiosity, so I went Googling. You're probably just as good at Googling as I am, so you may have already come across this. But maybe this will give you a little info:

http://www.dci.org/about/fame/view_member....3f-4af843dd3ffa

You piqued my curiosity, so I went Googling. You're probably just as good at Googling as I am, so you may have already come across this. But maybe this will give you a little info:

http://www.dci.org/about/fame/view_member....3f-4af843dd3ffa

When I was marching with the Chicago Connection Sr. Corps, Steve came to our rehearsals, since we were the only Sr. Corps in Chicago (and Sr. Corps was his background out east). He asked some of us if there were any teaching spots open with any of the junior corps in the area. Several of us sitting around the table were Cavalier FMMs so we naturally suggested giving the corps a call. Glad it worked out well, but a guy with his talent would have made it to the top with whatever corps he would have chosen.

I think I marched with Steve in the Reading Buccaneers in the late 70s. I believe he was in the rifle line and later taught as one of the drill guys.

When I left junior corps for the Reading Buccaneers, I didn't follow DCI much, but I remember hearing he went to Cavies. I didn't realize he was well known. I remember him as a real nice guy that loved to kid around and in the 70s we had some real jokers in the rifle line.

I'll have to read up on him to find out what he did after Bucs!!

EDIT: I just read the link. He did a lot of stuff in a short time. I remembered after starting to read the article that he had passed away at a young age. He was a nice guy.

Edited by Martybucs

When I left junior corps for the Reading Buccaneers, I didn't follow DCI much, but I remember hearing he went to Cavies. I didn't realize he was well known. I remember him as a real nice guy.

He must have learned nice from his parents......they would host the Cavaliers' members and staff at their home for food and entertainment whenever we were in the area. :music:

I seem to remember that he was a member of the rifle line of the Hanover Lancers from Hanover, PA.

Thanks for all the information. That sure explodes the paradigm I had running in my head. I had him developing his skills in Division II or III or with another WGI guard before coming to the Cavies. It never occurred to me that he started in DCA.

Interestingly, of the people coming out of Gettysburg at the time, my wife though a couple of other folks would have been the ones to make a name for themselves in DCI. According to her, Lou Hancock and Bill Powers were the prime forces behind Gettysburg's adopting a corps style of marching.