blue stars new unis

The navy/white look gives me a "Pierrot/mime" vibe that creeps me out, but even if that weren't the case, the STAR ISN'T BLUE, and that bothers me. (And yes, BD bothered me in 88 and 89.)

I too wish they would absolutely rock the old school unis, cummmerbund high, short sleeves, red plumes, cross-sashes and all. I'm meh on the hot pants, but that's the look they made famous.

The hot pants left a LASTING impression on me when they were first rolled out. I was a 13 year old boy at the time, so maybe that puts it in context.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i saw on dci some videos and this corps had a weird uniform and i had no clue who it was. it finally hit me, it's gotta be blue stars and sure enough i saw on corpsreps that the blue stars have drastically new uniforms. i prefer the old one better though

Personally, I like the Blue Stars new iniforms. It's a big leap forward in style for them in my opinion. Plus, the one sided color contrast looked real cool on the field when they moved about. ( blue...white.... blue... white )

The Blue Stars have had the same cool uni for a LONG time.

They are trying something new and can always return to the classic if they want.

You always knew it was the Blue Stars with the cross straps and red plumes!

Love the new uniforms -

I see some color being added in the near future.

(similar to Phantom's idea in the "Winter Palace" show - 1987 I think) :rolleyes:

I think the all blue/white is very effective for this particular production

especially when the guard goes to the silver/white flags.

Just glad to see them back - strong in the thick of competition.

Just glad to see them back - strong in the thick of competition.

Amen to that-no matter what they wear.

As a Blue Star alumni I have to say I love the new uniform. Of course, this was designed with the Power and Grace show in mind, but even for the last 2 years, as much as I loved the traditional uni, I kept thinking it really needed updating every time I saw them on the field.

The cumberbund made for problems with different heights making drill look dirty, which was why it was removed a couple of years ago. The cross straps and buckle meant alot to some of the alumni but never really meant that much to me, but then I don't often attach sentimental value to physical things. I did, however, love the sound of the clink when coming to parade rest and hitting the buckle.

The uniform, as unique as it was, needed updating. The members love it, and that is what counts in my book.

Hello - Designer checking in here... A few reflections on this particular uniform from my on-line journal:

"FOR THE RECORD: The uniform is essentially an abstraction of the “classic” look – the beloved straps were simply rotated and extruded – which, conveniently enough, resembled a four-pointed star – which was an image associated with the corps (to the best of my history knowledge) in the 70’s. These stars appeared in drill formations (1972, I believe ) and as a graphic/logo representation as well. Red… Red, red, red… We (Blue Stars Design Team, leadership, et. Al. ) worked very hard to incorporate a splash of red – if not in the plume, then somewhere (See the early design proposals in my gallery! ) … Oh well… Maybe next year! "

After seeing several corps out west, I've realized that the straps and buckles have been picked up and are being worn by Impulse's guard. Recycle, reuse, reduce!

"...this isn’t change for the sake of change alone. A ton of thought, planning, and preparation went into the design – and that was just on my end of the drawing board. I can’t even imagine the debating, the logistics, and the sheer mental gymnastics performed by the corps’ leadership in getting that uniform on the field. This is not some happy-go-fun random metamorphosis to appease esoteric, hi-brow adjudicators; nor was it intended to offend the alums and old-timers. It’s a uniform… and yes, it is very different...

I’m really not in to loose-fitting, free-swinging straps, cords, braids and that some-such… the corps looks smashingly athletic, tremendously tall and, well… like a highly competitive division I drum corps…"

I wholeheartedly encourage everyone with questions, comments, or concerns about this or any of my unifomrs to read more by clicking HERE. You can also PM me with your thoughts as well.

In response to some of the things I've read since: Call it creator's blindness, but I fail to see how this uniform looks like "everyone else"... Yes, they look like BAHS - but that's intentional. Again, there are no "traditional" uniforms elements here aside from the helmet. However, unfortunately for me (and the timing of this design) free-swinging loose-fitting accessories are "in" back East (Glassmen's cord; Crown's "sash", Cadet's retro re-fit, et Al.) while minimal seems to be on the way out. <sigh>

If anything, this experience, including the feedback from fans, has made me more eager than ever to continue cranking out new designs. Originality, by the by, is a moot point. Seven years of higher education has informed me that there is nothing new under the sun.... That does not mean that we give up and stop striving for uniqueness or brilliance of concept. As I've stated on my journal, I'd love to share the drawings and concepts competed over the last 6 months, but alas, due to certain contractual obligations, that won't be possible until the uniforms are made or images are published.

If you're really hungry for more of my work, scan through the DCPi forum... I've been "active" in there since late spring.

Again, I encourage all interested parties to read the "BLOG" and I thank you for all your feedback. Feel free to PM with other questions not addressed herein.

-B