Tupelo thought

Just to clear things up about decibels:

An increase of 3 dB (SPL) with an amplifier is an electronic doubling of wattage (or power) used. However, 3 dB is the lowest amount of change a human can notice. An increase of 10 dB would be apparently twice as loud to the human ear. So yes, 3 dB is twice the power electronically, but 10 dB is twice the power acoustically. I hope that makes sense.

Another thing is proximity to the sound source. As the distance between a sound source and the meter doubles, you lose 6 dB. So if you were 10 feet from the hornline and you measured 96 dB, at 20 feet you would be measuring 90 dB.

None the less, 98 dB from 10 to 10 is quite impressive. What row were you sitting on?

Just to clear up things a little further, a 3 dB increase is a doubling of power, regardless of the energy measured... electrical, acoustic, whatever. If an acoustical source has a little more than 4 times the power (10 dB) compared to another, it subjectively sounds twice as loud to the human ear. Another way to look at it is that a corps needs to project 4 times the sound power compared to another corps before it sounds twice as loud.

Good point about the sound falloff!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50yrd.jpg

Here's the seat were the dB readings were taken.

Awesome seats and stadium configuration. It looks like you were close enough for a face peel but could still see forms.

img061.jpg

These are a couple of really nice guard members from Memphis Sound who shared the steps beside my seat to catch Bluecoats.

1986 Marauders (66 brass)

Admittedly, it was in a large banquet room at a hotel (which helped, I'm sure). We measured 130 dB from about 40-50 feet. We probably could have hurt someone.

It was the one and only time I remember measuring with a meter. We were going for loud.

I loved Marauders. We were actually listening to '85 Marauders as we pulled into the parking lot.

Just to give a debate teaser...Marauders were on G horns! The next show I attend with meter in hand is a DCA show. I haven't seen the stadium yet, but I will try to get as close to the same distance away and give the same type of review. This will give everyone plenty to argue about ^0^

I work in a chemical plant, so I get lots of info on occupational health. Here are some of the numbers for db levels:

(These are the examples they listed, don't get on me about them!)

Sound level (example source) : length of exposure before permanent high frequency hearing damage is likely to occur

95 db (parity with band) : 5 hours

100 db (crowded sporting event) : 1 hour

103 db (loud bar w/ band) : 38 minutes

108 db (Chicago blues bar) : 9 minutes

111 db (drumline rehearsal) : 5 minutes

119 db (old chainsaw) : 1 minute

120 db+ (it says "large marching band") : risky for any length of time (starting at under 20 seconds of exposure)

I know there are more comprehensive lists, but I don't have time to find one right now.

I loved Marauders. We were actually listening to '85 Marauders as we pulled into the parking lot.

Just to give a debate teaser...Marauders were on G horns! The next show I attend with meter in hand is a DCA show. I haven't seen the stadium yet, but I will try to get as close to the same distance away and give the same type of review. This will give everyone plenty to argue about ^0^

Cool. Thanks for listening. That's me playing the bari solo in "Rainmaker"

Being and Alumni.It was very cool hearing some of the shows back from the Marauders Mid 80's hornlines. I wanna say either 85 and/or 86...sounded quite good. love them G's.

Being and Alumni.It was very cool hearing some of the shows back from the Marauders Mid 80's hornlines. I wanna say either 85 and/or 86...sounded quite good. love them G's.

And that was a cobbled together set of horns. Deg - Dynasty, Olds, King...every type of 2 valve bugle - Frenchies, flugels, mellos, both silver, and nickel plate. Begged, borrowed, and stolen.

Btw, sorry for hijacking your Tupelo thread. Somebody make me a lolcorps!

Zeke, do you live near Seattle?