2007 vs. 2006

Comparing scores and placements for the same mid-July weekend shows in 2006 and 2007, reveals that scores for most corps in 2007 are within 2 points of those in 2006. The big improvments - with their 2007 scores increased by more than two points over their 2006 scores - are Cadets, SCV, and Cascades. The only big fall-offs are for Glassmen (down by 6 points), Spirit (down by 4+), and Madison (down by 8). All in all... it seems like drum corps are remarkably consistent through the years in this modern era of DCI.

2007 (DCI Altlanta)

88.475 Blue Devils

88.150 The Cadets

88.125 The Cavaliers

86.500 Phantom Regiment

85.925 Bluecoats

84.650 Carolina Crown

84.450 Santa Clara Vanguard

80.525 Boston Crusaders

79.850 Blue Knights

77.900 Colts

74.900 Glassmen

74.025 Spirit from JSU

75.200 Blue Stars

73.150 Madison Scouts

73.075 Crossmen

71.350 Southwind

70.675 Cascades

70.300 Troopers

66.075 Pioneer

89.025 Blue Devils

87.950 The Cavaliers

86.975 Phantom Regiment

86.450 Bluecoats

85.700 The Cadets

82.725 Carolina Crown

82.255 Santa Clara Vanguard

81.475 Boston Crusaders

81.425 Blue Knights

81.400 Madison Scouts

80.925 Glassmen

78.475 Spirit from JSU

76.725 Colts

74.825 Crossmen

74.050 Blue Stars

73.450 Capital Regiment

69.575 Southwind

66.100 The Magic

65.250 Cascades

Yeah, three less corps broke 80 in 07' then did in 06' in Atlanta.

Yeah but the 6th and 7th place corps are about 2 points higher this year then they were last year. making the top 7 stronger than last year. 8-10 is a little weaker score wise but the top is stronger and a tighter race.

IMO, I think it's totally baseless to compare scores from year to year. To illustrate -- take a longer period of time. I think most would agree that a 90 in 1997 would not be a 90 today. So if we can agree that the scale shifts over a ten year period, we must agree that it shifts year-to-year, albeit less noticeably. Every year, the judges are given the same 100 point scale to score the corps on, but the performance level across the board increases over time. Therefore, the "scale" must be adjusted to properly rank to the new criteria of excellence each year. Otherwise, all the corps would be in the upper 90's after just a few years.

On a subjective quality measure though -- haven't seen all the corps yet, but from what I've seen (and heard) so far --- :bleah: ^OO^ :bleah:

IMO, I think it's totally baseless to compare scores from year to year. To illustrate -- take a longer period of time. I think most would agree that a 90 in 1997 would not be a 90 today. So if we can agree that the scale shifts over a ten year period, we must agree that it shifts year-to-year, albeit less noticeably. Every year, the judges are given the same 100 point scale to score the corps on, but the performance level across the board increases over time. Therefore, the "scale" must be adjusted to properly rank to the new criteria of excellence each year. Otherwise, all the corps would be in the upper 90's after just a few years.

On a subjective quality measure though -- haven't seen all the corps yet, but from what I've seen (and heard) so far --- :bleah: ^OO^ :bleah:

Good point regarding comparing scores from 1997 to 2007, but I might guess that scores are more "absolute" than "relative" from year-to-year. Isn't this how the "box" system works? However, it seems that a few corps in particular (Bluecoats, Blue Stars), who both *seem* to be much improved this year, are scoring at or near where the were at this point last year.

Also... the Saturday night score for Glassmen was unusually low for them this season, so they are probably also scoring somewhat closer to their 2006 numbers.

This comparison is just for fun... I find it interesting how the corps scoring/rankings seem to be more consistent from year to year than they were a few decades ago. Perhaps this is a reflection of the national talent pool from which corps now draw their members and the ability of the largest budgets to hire superior staff, compared to the regional nature of members and staff in previous eras.

And..yes... it is GREAT to see the Troopers back! They were one of the first corps I saw at my first show in 1976 and got me hooked.

stay cool. drive safely.

Just a comment --

In 2006, the Atlanta Regional was on July 29th -- the last weekend in July 2006.

This year, the Atlanta Regional was 2nd weekend of July .. two weeks earlier.

San Antonio maybe a better year to year comparision -- 2006 third Saturday in July -- 2007 third Saturday in July :)

Yeah but the 6th and 7th place corps are about 2 points higher this year then they were last year. making the top 7 stronger than last year. 8-10 is a little weaker score wise but the top is stronger and a tighter race.

Comparing scores from previous years seems a folly exercise. The scores only represent a comparison of Corps within that mix of Corps within that timeframe. For example a Corps in 1991 with a score of 80.00 may or may not be " equal, " stronger " or " weaker " than a Corps with a score of 80.00 in 2007. One doesn't know. Same with comparing scores between 2006 and 2007. Or for that matter, comparing who is " stronger " or " weaker " this year in different shows with different Corps. We oftentimes see a Corps get a high score in a show in which the level talent of Corps in that show was decent but not great. Then a few days later, in a show in which there may be more Corps and / or better Corps, that Corps scores drop, sometimes by a rather large margin too. Some people sctatch their heads with that. But if they understood what scores represent, they perhaps would not be so frustrated when a Corps scores drop. So. I 'd be leary of reading too much into a comparison of scores as being representative of strength or weakness of Corps within ANY time frame. It's always the head to head competition that is most meaningful it seems to me ( regarding scores and placements and strength or weakness of Corps)

Edited by X DM

Comparing scores and placements for the same mid-July weekend shows in 2006 and 2007, reveals that scores for most corps in 2007 are within 2 points of those in 2006. The big improvments - with their 2007 scores increased by more than two points over their 2006 scores - are Cadets, SCV, and Cascades. The only big fall-offs are for Glassmen (down by 6 points), Spirit (down by 4+), and Madison (down by 8). All in all... it seems like drum corps are remarkably consistent through the years in this modern era of DCI.
Just a comment --

In 2006, the Atlanta Regional was on July 29th -- the last weekend in July 2006.

This year, the Atlanta Regional was 2nd weekend of July .. two weeks earlier.

San Antonio maybe a better year to year comparision -- 2006 third Saturday in July -- 2007 third Saturday in July :)