Houston Festival of Sight & Sound

Cavaliers did have a new ending. It looked..and sounded...like they just learned it. It looks to be a great closing to the already awesome show.

drum corps is loud..! Audio recordings really don't do them justice.

The Cavaliers learned the new ending yesterday. They had plenty of rain keeping them off of the field today, plus they had a clinic this afternoon. In sum, they put all of that new drill out, along with another minute and a half of music, and were able to pull out a 90.40, in the span of about only one good rehearsal..... :doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Also......drum corps is loud.....AMEN!, and yes, recording do not do it justice.

Edited by Nice Guy

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from the show as well. Some short thoughts:

Boston Crusaders got a nice reaction from the crowd. Very enjoyable show. The Blue Stars were loud! I didn't expect them to produce volume like that. I was blown by away by their sound. SCV rocked tonight. Everything just clicked from the music to the visual. And, the Cavaliers rocked as well. Although during the "Pressure" segment, a couple of guys tripped up on each other and fell in the middle of the 50. I believe it was 2-3 people? The new ending is in. But like the above poster said, it looked like they just learned it.

Overall, a very enjoyable night of drum corps in Houston. The Berry Center is an incredible venue. The entire stadium is intimate. I was sitting in the upper deck and it felt like I was sitting inches away from the sideline.

Edited by mbui

Overall, a very enjoyable night of drum corps in Houston. The Berry Center is an incredible venue. The entire stadium is intimate. I was sitting in the upper deck and it felt like I was sitting inches away from the sideline.

Some stadiums just do drum corps great justice. Another field like that is Ames Field in Michigan City, Indiana (one of The Cavaliers home shows). It is intimate and the corps sound so loud because the stands are right up to the field. I really enjoy that kind of field.

Just got back from the show as well. Some short thoughts:

Boston Crusaders got a nice reaction from the crowd. Very enjoyable show. The Blue Stars were loud! I didn't expect them to produce volume like that. I was blown by away by their sound. SCV rocked tonight. Everything just clicked from the music to the visual. And, the Cavaliers rocked as well. Although during the "Pressure" segment, a couple of guys tripped up on each other and fell in the middle of the 50. I believe it was 2-3 people? The new ending is in. But like the above poster said, it looked like they just learned it.

Totally agree with your observations. I was really surprised that the Glassmen beat the Blue Stars. At the very least, I can't see a way that Glassmen could beat them in brass. They had several tears tonight.

edit: I too have to agree with those who've criticized the Cavies for not playing the tough stuff on the move or atleast during challenging drill. I guess they'll continue to do this as long as the judges reward them for it...my band director friend said it's "smart programming" and I reluctantly have to agree. I can see this as a potential weakness if other corps (cadets come to mind) actually play the hard stuff while "booking it."

Edited by Medeabrass

FRIGGIN RECAPS ALREADY!!!!? It's only been 3 hours.

I hear ya, comrade. I'm hoping they'll get up at some point too.

At least we can expect speedy recaps from San Antonio.

FRIGGIN RECAPS ALREADY!!!!? It's only been 3 hours.

Easy there, Madeabrass. You're gonna break your pacemaker! :rolleyes: Don't forget when we used to have to wait for WEEKS to see any recaps printed in Drum Corps World! We're living in a wonderful time, man.

Edited by THX 1138