The "Next Big Thing" Artistically...

I see drum corps moving in the direction of "musical theater," and by using that term I don't mean to imply Broadway. Rather, I envision the activity giving itself over to staging fully integrated shows that either adhere to a theme or tell a story (think Bluecoats and their "Criminal" idea multiplied or Cadets from 2006). I could see this making full use of amplification, narration, singing, props and costuming so that what we will have is not so much the drill and music format of today but a full-blown theatrical production set to music.

This idea occured to me this morning as I listened to the final act of Puccini's Turandot. The music, particularly in the final scene, is terrific -- dramatic, moving and just begs to be performed by a brass ensemble. In my mind I tried to envision drill and staging and realized that, by adding voices and a few props/costumes, it would be fairly easy to "stage" the opera on the field.

I'm certainly not suggesting this is he direction I WANT to see the activity go, but I can see that it might head that way. We're not far from it now.

Edited by ChicagoFan

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great topic. Reading through the posts has been fascinating...

I see the future of Drum Corps evolving fairly slowly. I do see the move to a stonger theatrical design on the horizon but this type of transition would not be for every fan, nor would it be for every Corps.

The use of lighting (and lighting boards) is a real possibility; the Cadets have a sound board (and technician) for their show this season. Each of us can imagine the dramatic effects and impacts that can be created with lighting technology. Can you see 1989 BD - the soprano solo (without the rip) - spotlighted with the rest of the field in darkness? Instant baby-throwing (and GE-producing) moment! Witness "ambilight" (sp?) technology for plasma televisions. It changes the "tone" of the light depending on what is currently on the screen. Similar musical-related ideas could be expressed beautifully on the field.

I like the idea of the fiber optic field (for lack of a better term) but this could get in the way, in my opinion. I believe that this technology could easily become a distraction to what is being performed. Would people be seeing the show or just trying to see what is on the field 'behind' the performers? Seems to be a tough line to walk and not fall into the trap of filling the field with too much and visually drowning out everything.

The strongest idea - something that I can see being implemented on the field soon - is the use of multiple skills by corps members. Imagine this years Cadets show. Now, imagine the first big horn hit after the unison narrated "I believe in NOW!" comment. Now, imagine this with the numbers of the hornline and guard being flipped. 70 flags and 32 horns; still a large impact for the ears. Can you imagine the impact that could create for the eyes? Hell, imagine that the only notes being played on the field are emanating from the pit. The rest of the corps does a sequential quad toss with alternating rifles and sabres...wow, that would be cool to see on the field.

The possibilities are endless as folks continue to push through the boundaries that DCI has set. The rules are stretched and refined each winter, it seems. To me, the best part of the winter is imagining the possibilities of what I will see on the field during the upcoming season. All things are possible...

Maybe a show where there was very little marching but it's all dance and body movement and acting instead. Kind of like Blast right now. Not sure what the Visual performance sheets would say about that, but I'm sure you could please Vis effect judges very easily with such a show. And I'm sure old timers would have fits about it. "STOP DANCING AND MARCH!"

Let's go one step further, have a corps the size of Micro-Magic and pit them on the front and have the remaining member (120+) be in the colorguard. A live WGI show. :rolleyes:

"I like the idea of the fiber optic field (for lack of a better term) but this could get in the way, in my opinion. I believe that this technology could easily become a distraction to what is being performed. Would people be seeing the show or just trying to see what is on the field 'behind' the performers? Seems to be a tough line to walk and not fall into the trap of filling the field with too much and visually drowning out everything."

As with all judging they would have to decide if there was too much or not enough, or rather the corps had gone overboard with it. Sure would be some cool visual GE though!.......or maybe not. For sure it would fill up the discussion pages of many message boards! :worthy:

If electronics passed (and it will soon), what about a Phantom Regiment "Masters Of The Piano" show?

Can someone speak to what we can do with that technology in a way that will progress us beyond what we may see at BOA Grand Nationals?

That's not a dig...I genuinely want to know what we can do to expand the creative boundaries in a way that takes the best of what we have and adds on to it without losing sight of "drum corps" in the process.

different instrumentations.

descant mellos?

trombones?

A high brass feature including flugels, mellos, sops, cornets, and a few piccolo trumpets discreetly tucked away in uniform compartments until it's playing time?

Drum Corps in the round- seating in all areas of the stadium. Shows designed with 360 degrees of drill.

different instrumentations.

descant mellos?

trombones?

A high brass feature including flugels, mellos, sops, cornets, and a few piccolo trumpets discreetly tucked away in uniform compartments until it's playing time?

Drum Corps in the round- seating in all areas of the stadium. Shows designed with 360 degrees of drill.

I don't see trombones being allowed any time soon. Maybe piccolos and cornets and flugels imo

I think we have already seen where the next big thing is going to take place. Star started it, other groups have imitated it (Blue Devils, Blue Knights, various high schools). The problem is that it hasn't caught on... yet. Some of you probably know what I am talking about. Indoor brass/marching shows.

This isn't a new concept because Star began it shortly after leaving DCI. The question is not whether or not if it will happen, but when it will happen. Is DCI going to embrace this activity as a smaller/indoor version of drum corps, or are they going to allow another circuit to pick it up (WGI, DCA, an independent)? Many schools have these groups and a few drum corps have them as well. Personally, I feel like the limitations with DCI are going to eventually force these groups to become a larger force, or DCI will pass the many rules changes George Hopkins is wanting to add. I hope DCI does not become a more mature version of BOA, but I see it as a strong possibility. :worthy:

Edited by BOSMarcher