Think Different.

I think each and every corps should start off at one end zone, end off at the other and they should all play a medly of Young Person's Guide/Straberry Soup/Simple Gifts. They should march 8-5 carry their horns at a 90 degree angle to the ground and the color guard should just do drop spins and box angles across the field.

Each and every corps.

Over and over again.

Don't make me think.

Don't do anything new.

Just spoon feed me my mashed potatoes and my drum corps.

The end.

God I miss you here in drum corps discussion land, its been too long !!

~G~

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.But how do these "ideas" hold merit ? Push the envelope ?Evolve drum corps ??

2. Take their 82 - 85 run, many things from big to small were implemented, and altered drum corps. Take 2005 - 2006, yes still to early, however, What ideas will come from these shows and push the activity into a new direction ??Narration ?? Characters ?? a door ? guard segregation in a drill ?? picnic tables ? singers with microphones ? Bjork-speak ??

3.I dont see any other corps altering their programing ideas to mimic the Cadets and I dont see the general audience praising what has been presented to them.

1.anything that has not been done before on a drum corps field "pushes the envelope". simple as that. now we can (and have) debate over whether these ideas are good/bad/stupid/brilliant/smelly/cheesy/fantastic/elf-flavored/hairy/annoying - whatever, but doing something new and different on a drum corps competition field is something that not many corps are willing to do.

2.you just answered your own question...all of these things

3.first, just because you dont see it, doesnt mean it isnt there

second, as you said, it is entirely too early to be judging these things via the criteria you demand...like anything else, it takes time

Edited by KingJoeVII

Santa Clara's guard looks very much like Cadets guard of 2005.

Really ?? How ? Neither the design, or the color resemble 2005 Cadets in any way, unless I am wrong I dont think Cadets had an exclamation point going down the side of their bodies either.

~G~

I saw this online earlier. It brought one corps to mind. Does this remind anyone else of the Cadets?

Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They invent. They imagine. They heal. They explore. They create. They inspire. They push the human race forward. Maybe they have to be crazy. How else can you stare at an empty canvas and see a work of art? Or sit in silence and hear a song that’s never been written? Or gaze at a red planet and see a laboratory on wheels? We make tools for these kinds of people. While some see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

Well, historically, the " crazy ones " have no doubt changed the landscape of the world, but it's doubtful for the better. I'd have used the phrase " the Mavericks of the world" and you can make a better case perhaps. The definitions you used above...." misfits"," trouble makers ", " the crazy ones,"" not fond of rules", can just as easily describe the Colombine H.S. homicidal maniacs among other " misfits".

When I think of the " status quo " in DCI, The Cadets ( a GREAT corps ) seem most certainly the " status quo ". The Bridgemen for example, in their heyday, were most definately NOT " the staus quo ". They were the outsiders, the mavericks, the " different ones ". Even their uniforms were " different ". That Corps was " urban " in a sea of mostly DCI lilly white suburbia. The Cadets you say are a Corps that ( your words) " heal " ? hmmmmmn, I don't think so.. Don't get me wrong, the Cadets, a Corps whose uniforms have essentially remained traditional,military-style, and unchanged for close to 75 years is a wonderful Corps with a rich history and they may very well win a DCI Title to add to the many they have won over the last 25 years. But in my view, The Cadets are a powerful and influential " insider " status quo Corps. Much more so in my opinion than an "outsider " ala the Bridgemen ( or Velvet Knights or 94,95 Madison Scouts, and a few others) who were Corps that had their nose pressed hard up against the windowpane looking in as essentially DCI outsiders regarding the unconventional ( but wildly popular )shows , style, and fresh panache that these genuinely maverick Corps brought to DCI.

Edited by X DM

Well, historically, the " crazy ones " have no doubt changed the landscape of the world, but it's doubtful for the better. I'd have used the phrase " the Mavericks of the world" and you can make a better case perhaps. The definitions you used above...." misfits"," trouble makers ", " the crazy ones,"" not fond of rules", can just as easily describe the Colombine H.S. homicidal maniacs among other " misfits".

When I think of the " status quo " in DCI, The Cadets ( a GREAT corps ) seem most certainly the " status quo ". The Bridgemen for example, in their heyday, were most definately NOT " the staus quo ". They were the outsiders, the mavericks, the " different ones ". Even their uniforms were " different ". That Corps was " urban " in a sea of mostly DCI lilly white suburbia. The Cadets you say are a Corps that ( your words) " heal " ? hmmmmmn, I don't think so.. Don't get me wrong, the Cadets, a Corps whose uniforms have essentially remained traditional,military-style, and unchanged for close to 75 years is a wonderful Corps with a rich history and they may very well win a DCI Title to add to the many they have won over the last 25 years. But in my view, The Cadets are a powerful and influential " insider " status quo Corps. Much more so in my opinion than an "outsider " ala the Bridgemen ( or Velvet Knights or 94,95 Madison Scouts, and a few others) who were Corps that had their nose pressed hard up against the windowpane looking in as essentially DCI outsiders regarding the unconventional ( but wildly popular )shows , style, and fresh panache that these genuinely maverick Corps brought to DCI.

There are no spaces between quotation marks and the words they surround.

Well I for one am glad that The Cadets are the corps they are. They keep things interesting just by the amount that they try to change the status quo. Some of it works; some does not. But it gives us something to look forward to, both on the field and on these forums. We may look forward to loving the performance or may look forward to seeing...and hating...the outrageous show design, but we still look forward to it. Would anybody be happy if The Cadets skipped San Antonio and we couldn't find out if they could deservingly win/lose (you pick based on your bias).

The Cadets are good for the activity. The results will be judged by time. Things are always changing. Where are the props this year? Relax. Voice your love or dislike for a show, but relax. I saw The Cadets 2005 in Orlando at the beginning of the season and it was a real mess, hated the show. Then I saw it in Murfreesboro and, even though I did not like the show design, I realized that the corps had now embraced the show and that it was likely going to be a deserving winner. 2006 was a mistake by the design team where they tried too hard to be different. It showed, and allowed much justified criticism. This year is somewhere between the two shows. The concept is pushing what has been done, but (in my opinion) the very badly written narration is not having the effect that it could.

Change is good, it is bad, it is painful, it is stretching, and it is necessary. So I am happy that George Hopkins is involved in the activity, just as much as I for one often wish he would just shut up when he gets too far out there. But both parts come with the package. Its not good and evil, it just drum corps in the real world.

well...umm... ok.....thanks for that English lesson, there Hrothgar15'

Are you an English teacher ? (Just askin', mind you)

Nope...an 18-year-old student. Just wanted to give you a heads up there. :)

Edited by Hrothgar15

I don't believe the show design for The Cadets has been status quo for the past three years. To counter your example, The Cadets made some pretty controversial changes to their uniforms. They've utilized design elements many corps shy away from, therefore making their shows very unique.